engine problems, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you do have a low reading on a cylinder put a little oil down the cylinder and check it again. If there is a higher reading with the oil the rings are a problem in that cylinder..

you don't need to do a wet test unless you have low compression in a cylinder

and I don't know if this was mentioned, remove the power line to the distributor when your doing the compression test

Re: engine problems, again. !update!

So got a hold of the guys here's what they said;
Reason why we need a new Ign module is because it is in the dizzy and when its timing is bad it burns the module up.

Also I was wondering what is the best place to shop for parts, auto zone, advanced auto, oreily's or nappa or maybe even somewhere else?
I am just trying to get good products for my money.

In my experience a module is either bad or good. Yes they can decide to work some days and not work the next but they don't cause problems. Your car just would not start or will quit while running. But not the wheezing gasping quit, more like the you turn your key off quit. I have never heard that wrong timing will wreck a module but I sure as heck do not know it all. They could be right.

As far as what store to use, that is up to you. A lot of those stores can get the same parts. I honestly do not care for the house brand of Autozone stuff. I have an Oreily's in town and they have a lot more stuff on hand than autozone but prices are just a bit more in my area. I shop primarily at a small privately owned company called Performance Automotive. They had a machine shop and a lot of parts. There are two in my town and they pretty much get all the business. Parts quality is very good and they know their sh*t and got paid to know their sh*t. Be leery of what parts store guys tell you, most know nothing. I priced out a set of NGK plugs for my LT1 at autozone one day and was told that I can't run them in a domestic engine. :roll: The knowledge of that crew at my local autozone is well, lacking to say the least. So your best bet would probably be to find a local privately owned parts store. They seem to know what they are doing. Hopefully you can find one.

Anything to make your wife happy. My wife got sick of driving my old junk, got her a 2010 Dodge Challenger. My car runs much better than yours but has many little things wrong.

CHRIS.O said:
In my experience a module is either bad or good. Yes they can decide to work some days and not work the next but they don't cause problems. Your car just would not start or will quit while running. But not the wheezing gasping quit, more like the you turn your key off quit. I have never heard that wrong timing will wreck a module but I sure as heck do not know it all. They could be right.

As far as what store to use, that is up to you. A lot of those stores can get the same parts. I honestly do not care for the house brand of Autozone stuff. I have an Oreily's in town and they have a lot more stuff on hand than autozone but prices are just a bit more in my area. I shop primarily at a small privately owned company called Performance Automotive. They had a machine shop and a lot of parts. There are two in my town and they pretty much get all the business. Parts quality is very good and they know their sh*t and got paid to know their sh*t. Be leery of what parts store guys tell you, most know nothing. I priced out a set of NGK plugs for my LT1 at autozone one day and was told that I can't run them in a domestic engine. :roll: The knowledge of that crew at my local autozone is well, lacking to say the least. So your best bet would probably be to find a local privately owned parts store. They seem to know what they are doing. Hopefully you can find one.

me or my wife just don't want to get ripped again! haha.
But I will just do the compression test and see if I can figure the problem before they go changing everything on assumption.

Yeah i have honestly never heard/seen a locally owned business but I am sure google search or some other type can help me with that.
Thanks a lot.

olds307 and 403 said:
Anything to make your wife happy. My wife got sick of driving my old junk, got her a 2010 Dodge Challenger. My car runs much better than yours but has many little things wrong.

Yeah exactly.
She doesn't drive mine at all, she wont even get her permit so I doubt she'll do much driving.
But were expecting and she just want's to know we have a solid ride back and forth you know.

I bet the wife was happy when you got her that?
Yeah I have learned on here from everyone, our cars will always have little problems but that's why we get em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor