Equipping a G-Body with a manual trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibuSSwagon

Greasemonkey
Mar 20, 2008
Weare, NH
I'm using a John Bzdel pedal (pricy, but worth it!) and a 4th gen Camaro master/slave setup with a 3rd gen hydro bellhousing. Yup the sideways one. Thats my plan. Gonna be cheaper than the mechanical setup (can't find it for under $500!) This way it'll cost me $330 and I get nice new hydro linkage

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I used a 3rd gen camaro clutch pedal...I cut it and welded in a 3/4" extension and angled the pedal back a bit and I moved the pin back about 1.5" and it works great...and I used the G body brake pedal and just cut the foot pad to size and increased the joggle in the shaft to move it a little closer to the gas pedal to give a bit more room for the clutch

prime

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2009
Anyone know what sort of 5 speeds could be mated to a cutlasses stock 305?

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
T5, TKO500/600. You could hook an NV3500 up to it as well, but you'd need a hydraulic setup, and I'm not sure what tunnel clearance would be like with that trans... they're definitely stronger than a stock T5 though. I'm almost considering looking into one myself, I just can't find any measurements online to compare them to any other 4/5/6-speeds. It would be nice if it fit, because the S10 ratios would line up almost perfectly with the setup I currently have.

prime

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2009
Well I'm going to have to drill holes in the firewall anyways, setting up a hydrolic clutch master cylindar shouldn't be to much of an issue, last time I peeked into a cutlass engine bay there was enough space for a big block, I don't think positioning the hydralic cylindar will be a huge problem, and I could move the resivour around if I needed to. I think I'll check out the NV3500, and let you know how it goes. Given my purpose I'd really prefer the stronger transmission. Inevitably I see pain in my future anyways.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the master cylinder is installed using the hole in the firewall just below the brake booster that was intended for the wiring for the cruise control. You'll just need to drill two holes for the bolts to secure the cylinder.

Reactions: 1 user

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
If the car originally had cruise there is already a hole in the right spot for the master (pontiacgp beat me to it :lol:), you'll need to drill holes for the mounting bolts though. Check out Craig's (388bu on MalibuRacing.com) conversion info. He used to have carbed - then EFI'd 383, now it has a sick little LS7 in it :twisted:
http://www.shiftn6.com/

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Anybody ever use a SBC 400 with the t5? The flywheels are very limited for 153 tooth, 2 pc seal, EXTERNALLY balanced flywheels, and they are expensive! Is it possible to use a 168 tooth?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I got my flywheel from a race team that's out of a corvette...10.5..153 tooth externally balanced....check the classified section of a local circle track and you should find something there reasonably priced..just make sure someone hasn't machined it paper thin for weight reduction

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Chillin014 said:
Anybody ever use a SBC 400 with the t5? The flywheels are very limited for 153 tooth, 2 pc seal, EXTERNALLY balanced flywheels, and they are expensive! Is it possible to use a 168 tooth?
It is, but you'll likely spend more buying a compatible bellhousing/clutch fork than buying the proper flywheel for a G-Body bellhousing. Your options for other bellhousings are '84-'88 Corvette bellhousings, or '82-'83 F-Body bellhousings, but they're a)rare, and b)only 153-tooth. There is a 168-tooth G-Body bellhousing available, but it's a)rare, and b)not all bellhousings with the 462697 casting number were for a G-Body. You could however get a traditional 168-tooth bellhousing and run a hydraulic setup with a hydraulic throwout bearing, that would solve your flywheel dilemma, but you have the added cost of a hydraulic setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor