Evacuating an all new AC system question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So if I have installed a completely new AC system and the new compressor comes pre-filled with the correct amount of oil in it when I hook up the vacuum pump will it suck out any of the oil that is in the compressor?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If it does it should only be a minimal amount. I always tried to disperse the oil in several parts of the system.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Yes and no,there's quite a bit of oil in these systems.even the machines at work won't pull it ALL out. When i replace a condenser i put three oz in that alone. The pump holds quite a bit you'll be ok.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I will have 2 systems to do and both the new R4 and the Sanden 508 compressors came sealed with the oil in them, I figured if it was an issue then they would ship the oil separately so it can be added but in my head it seems like a possibility it could pull some out.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
They ship the oil in the compressor as a fail-safe. Just in case someone just bolts it up and takes off. There are several spots in the system that tend to accumulate oil. When replacing parts you add oil to those places, like the accumulator. A shop manual will specify how much and where to add some as you assemble the components. The compressor is often filled with the total system amount. What you would do normally is drain and save it. Then drain the old compressor and measure it. Then add that amount to the new compressor. if it is more then the spec, you subtract down to the spec. If it is less, you add up to spec. The rest of the oil would go to the other components. Since you have a new system I would find the total amount specified, add what belongs where, and make sure the compressor got it's full amount specified. Upon operating the system will distribute the oil where it wants it and it will puddle in the right spots. The vacuum pump will not suck oil out. Only a gross leak will carry oil with the freon.

Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My Regal is an all new factory set up so that should be easy enough to find the amount of oil needed for the system but my Monte will be a complete custom system using the Sanden 508, and a Vintage Air trunk mount evaporator, remote condenser and I will be making custom lines to attach everything so I guess maybe I will have to contact them for an answer.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Dump the oil out of the compressor as it may liquid lock on start up. Pour the correct amount of oil in the new accumulator that you are installing after you have flushed the system and put a new orifice tube in. May sure you have a good vacuum pump that has had the oil changed recently. Guess where the moisture is stored when boiled out of the AC system? in the oil. Just because your gauge read 30" of vacuum(Which actually is impossible) does not mean the vacuum pump is working properly....
New one Huh???
To check to see if a vacuum pump is working take a small jar(Baby food size) and put a half inch of water in it. Add a few drops of refrigerant oil. Put a nipple in the cap that will hook up to your gauges. The jar HAS to be completely sealed. Hook up your vacuum pump and the water should boil. Remember we put a radiator pressure cap on the cooling system to raise the boiling point of our water/coolant mixture. The inverse is also true. Less pressure(vacuum) lowers the boiling point of the water. I have never seen an air operated vacuum pump boil water.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Pour the correct amount of oil in the new accumulator that you are installing after you have flushed the system and put a new orifice tube in.
Are you saying I need to flush the system even though every component is brand new and sealed prior to installing?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
If all components are new, no. There should be 3 ounces of oil in the evaporator, 2 in the condenser and 5 in the accumulator. Remember the accumulator is the storage for the compressor oil

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Wait- they sold you a complete system and didn't specify the amount of oil? Yikes! What if you weren't curious and just hooked it all up, oblivious. Contact them immediately. Last time I used my vacuum pump it was low on oil. NO ONE had any in stock. I fianally located a tiny 8oz bottle at an Auto Zone many miles away that got me by. I have since bought a gallon of Black Gold so I don't get caught with my pants down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor