Security systems

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Just a thought as I was working on my project that after all this investment in the car I really haven’t thought about a good security system. I had a disconnect switch installed on it before under the dash but it just wasn’t what I’m thinking would be sufficient. So as usual I just wanted to reach out and see what anyone else was using or suggestions while I’m still in the process. Thanks

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
In my Regal I have a master cut off switch mounted under the hood and I also have hood locks,

20190928_173359-1_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Very nice detail! I was thinking about that also but if you go cruising and stop somewhere I didn’t want to have to get pop the hood all the time to shut it off. I’m not very tech oriented but was hoping someone in the group had or knew of a good way to integrate a system into a build.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
There are many options from basic to complex.

Simple relay driven disable for the ignition or starter using "hidden" switches to enable.

Use an RKE and make the trunk open an enable for ignition or starter.

There are expensive distributors that you can disable with your smartphone.

Low voltage home automation control boards that can be controlled by a smartphone.

Last but not least, aftermarket alarms.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
You can add the pellet style keyed ignition cylinder, and it can be wired as standalone (w/correct module) or in conjunction with an RKE, especially the GM factory units.

Kirban Performance has the "Touch And Start" where you utilize your body to complete a circuit allowing the car to start. You choose what/where the 2nd point of contact is.

Add "Jimmy Jammers" to your doors to block Slim Jims, and to prevent prying off the door handle.

Shave the handle and lock cylinders so they can't be yanked out and remove the lock knobs/ cut the stud so nobody can reach in and unlock it.

Buy 4 wireless phone charging lithium ion battery packs & wire the outputs of two them in series. Do that to the other pair as well. Wire that pair (of pairs) in parallel. Add a DC to DC converter on the output wires and adjust it to between 12.5 to 14 volts. The outputs from there go to your desired item: no fuse necessary as the converter and battery packs both have "Protect" mode and won't allow over-voltage or a short.

Plug leads with the USBA end removed into the charging ports, wire them all in parallel, and connect that to a key-on power source. It sounds like a lot of work but it's not. I have less invested in this than a motorcycle battery, it fits nearly anywhere, and they don't give off sulfur fumes or gasses.

You now have an additional power source that's always charged and lasts for days while being used to power something. This can be used for an alarm, GPS locator, or even to keep Line Lock engaged so the front wheels won't roll. Or use it to power a solenoid that locks the transmission, doesn't have to be a T-brake. Or to lock the throttle linkage in place so it can't go above idle speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
While it's great to hear about what some people do for security, the best ones are not talked about so no one can do a search and find out what you might have in my opinion. The absolute best thing is, while it won't help you from getting it stolen, get the best insurance you can afford so you can afford to build another one after.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I agree and I understand the need to keep your own personal anti-theft mods secret, and to not freely explain how to beat particular systems like Kirban's "Mystery" device (different from Touch 'N' Start). However, simply listing numerous types of systems that exist puts nobody at risk. Not one person knows which one(s) you have in place, and if you have none you're begging to get your car stolen. This topic has been beaten to death on every single car forum that exists and the list is often very similar. The same forums have described in detail how to defeat all of the factory PassKey/ PassLock systems. Anyone on the street can beat an aftermarket door solenoid if they know how it works, yet most people don't use locks in tandem with them.

If someone is utilizing at least 3 GOOD methods then they're only susceptible to a flatbed tow truck, and there are few things you can do to slow them down. That's because those 3 good methods are: disable the starter, disable the fuel, physically immobilize the car. It doesn't matter how you accomplish those things, just do them. Period. Slowing a truck requires blocking your vehicle with other vehicles or Jersey Barriers, putting it inside a building, or chaining it to something- a fence is meaningless.

I say the fact that we're discussing the topic shows thieves browsing for ways to steal that we're not just gonna let our stuff disappear without a fight. But take it from someone who knows: Thieves create the best anti-theft devices so they know what to try and beat and when to walk away, and they talk shop like everyone else. The morons that butcher things aren't skilled thieves and they're stymied by the simplest things, especially if they're cleverly designed. Until someone posts a way to easily and quietly remove a Steadfast in under 2 minutes I think we'll be fine.

Cue the guy with pit bulls and guns...

Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Sleeping in a latch from the inside garage as well as don't go to Walmart in it is the best bet. We go out to eat in the wife's car we cruise in the SS and stay close to it. I would never park my car anywhere where I couldn't see it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have heard this is the best deterrent from theft.
R.4c75ca3817400c8e11ac6f13634128b6

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I agree and I understand the need to keep your own personal anti-theft mods secret, and to not freely explain how to beat particular systems like Kirban's "Mystery" device (different from Touch 'N' Start). However, simply listing numerous types of systems that exist puts nobody at risk. Not one person knows which one(s) you have in place, and if you have none you're begging to get your car stolen. This topic has been beaten to death on every single car forum that exists and the list is often very similar. The same forums have described in detail how to defeat all of the factory PassKey/ PassLock systems. Anyone on the street can beat an aftermarket door solenoid if they know how it works, yet most people don't use locks in tandem with them.

If someone is utilizing at least 3 GOOD methods then they're only susceptible to a flatbed tow truck, and there are few things you can do to slow them down. That's because those 3 good methods are: disable the starter, disable the fuel, physically immobilize the car. It doesn't matter how you accomplish those things, just do them. Period. Slowing a truck requires blocking your vehicle with other vehicles or Jersey Barriers, putting it inside a building, or chaining it to something- a fence is meaningless.

I say the fact that we're discussing the topic shows thieves browsing for ways to steal that we're not just gonna let our stuff disappear without a fight. But take it from someone who knows: Thieves create the best anti-theft devices so they know what to try and beat and when to walk away, and they talk shop like everyone else. The morons that butcher things aren't skilled thieves and they're stymied by the simplest things, especially if they're cleverly designed. Until someone posts a way to easily and quietly remove a Steadfast in under 2 minutes I think we'll be fine.

Cue the guy with pit bulls and guns...
you mean this guy?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor