Factory 78+ Light Blue Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2017
When you replace the pieces are they going to be black or older blue ones? I'm curious as to how the paint would cover new black pieces.

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
My pieces are all assorted colors from different sources. Everything looks like the same shade to me. I got my pics downloaded out of my phone and I hope to be able a few tonight from home.

Reactions: 1 user

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I have a wagon so finding orginal black interior in a sedan or wagon is super rare. most where blue, light blue, tan etc. so the few i have painted looked great. But never painted over black. If i did id probably use a primer first.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I have a wagon so finding orginal black interior in a sedan or wagon is super rare. most where blue, light blue, tan etc. so the few i have painted looked great. But never painted over black. If i did id probably use a primer first.

There is no primer for SEM Color Coat. When I sprayed all the pieces for my friends Camaro some of them were reproductions and they came in black only. Two coats covered no problem. Just remember to use an adhesion promoter. I use Bulldog. Works really well.

Reactions: 1 users

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
There is no primer for SEM Color Coat. When I sprayed all the pieces for my friends Camaro some of them were reproductions and they came in black only. Two coats covered no problem. Just remember to use an adhesion promoter. I use Bulldog. Works really well.

do you use the bulldog adhesion promoter on vinyl or just on the plastics? Im my upper door panels i just planed on using some alcohol and degreaser.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I havent sprayed any vinyl but Ive done quite a few plastic panels. Are you planning to use a spray gun or rattle can ?
Some folks might not agree with my methods but I use almost all SEM prep products before using color coat.
I wash everything with hot water and Dawn dish soap first. Then I use SEM Soap with a scrub brush and grey scotchbrite pads. After thats all dry I spray everything with SEM Plastic Prep. Then two light coats of Bulldog. Then color. I use Bulldog because my supplier has it in stock.
So far everything Ive done is still on the plastic. My friends Camaro was done at least 2 years ago. I did parts from my 81 5 or 6 years ago and I just finished doing the whole interior of my 83 wagon.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
ok cool, Its a rattle can is what i got. Ill for sure get the promoter. i think autozone might have some.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I dont think Autozone sells Bulldog but I know Pepboys has it. Ive bought spray cans there.
FYI, I try to over prep the parts Im spraying. Not just because Im very anal. Its because most of the plastic in these 80s cars can be pretty brittle and just getting it all apart without cracking it is pretty tricky. I want to do this only once if possible so I over do the prepping.

Reactions: 1 user

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Yea, i wasnt saying bulldog in general, just a general adhesion promoter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor