Finally Doing A Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lookin' good!

Not sure about your hardener question, but I wouldn't worry about the weatherstipping/hinge deal.

If you pull off your fenders, you can jamb your doors on the car with no problems, then you won't have to deal with re-aligning them again. Just make sure you clean really well around the hinges and stuff so the new paint doesn't start to come up after a while. I like to use those tooth brushes they give me for free at the dentist and Simple Green.

Might as well start looking for another hood too... is the one on your parts car any good, or is the car even still around?

a.jpg

got this side done

b.jpg

since the epoxy was thick and over some mostly sanded original paint, I blocked it wit 80, then 180, the scuffed it all with a red scothbrite...still have to rework the area around the quarter glass, and take off my upper door chrome reveal, so I just focused on priming below the bodyline

b2.jpg

b4.jpg

spot primed all my bare metal spots, with epoxy before I shot the poly prime...with the epoxy, it says to apply a mist coat, then come with a 2nd wet coat, I just ended up shooting the whole door and quarter on my 2nd coat, let flash then hit it with the poly prime...the poly was thick! I'm using the 1.8 tip on the gun, the biggest I have, and having to reduce it with acetone like it says, but still having a nice build

c.jpg

wax & grease remove, can't skip this step

d.jpg

the materials I was working with

f.jpg

safety first!

g.jpg

guide coated, now time to go home

b3.jpg

nxt is the roof and trunk

b33.jpg

the body is pretty damn straight, it was to begin with

Blake442 said:
Lookin' good!

Not sure about your hardener question, but I wouldn't worry about the weatherstipping/hinge deal.

If you pull off your fenders, you can jamb your doors on the car with no problems, then you won't have to deal with re-aligning them again. Just make sure you clean really well around the hinges and stuff so the new paint doesn't start to come up after a while. I like to use those tooth brushes they give me for free at the dentist and Simple Green.

Might as well start looking for another hood too... is the one on your parts car any good, or is the car even still around?

thanks Blake! finally got motivated to get things goin again...gonna try to shoot for getting it painted in time for the new year

toyota.jpg

this is the color I have my mind set on...I seen it in person on the same vehicle during the summertime, this lady that operated a snow cone stand in the area going towards my work had a Toyota Venza, never heard of it til I went to see what kinda of vehicle it was. I fell in love with that color

toyotavenza.jpg

the pictures do no justice, couldn't find any pics of it in the sun, you gotta see it in person...i already got the quote for the paint...$346 that's base, clear, activator, and reducer...it's NASON, a DUPONT brand...I have a brand new SHARPE gun that I won back in High School that I've never used, was saving it just for this purpose to one day paint my car, so I'm pretty excited, haven't shot a base/clear before on a whole car, just single stage, and a test fender, but I'm sure I can handle it

yeah stupid me, I guess I don't remember reading the label on the back, i just pulled it out the box to use it the other day, it says MEKP hardener, so its the same stuff used with the fiberglass resin

good tip!

the parts car is still there, but the hood is way beyond repair, rust holes and MAJOR dents and hail damage

I like the color! You don't see any brown really anymore. My dad's old Road Runner was a GM brown that was used on late '60s 'Vettes (from what he said).

Toyota Venza? I've never heard of that either... I guess that's what I get for missing the Auto Show this year! :lol:

The Olds is lookin' good, and I think that color will look great on there. Keep up the good work! :wax:

Good color choice! lol, can't wait to see it on the car!

The Venza is basically the wagon...err crossover variant of the Camry, and equally dull and boring. You probably haven't seen one because it is so dull and boring as to be almost invisible.

so about the scoop, wanna let me take it off yer hands? :lol:

doorhinge.jpg

drivers side upper door hinge...again door works good

can I fix this or do I need a new upper hinge? anyone have one for sale?

also whats a good brand of weatherstripping to buy? Steele Rubber Products? for the doors, roofrails and felts, I priced it at $315 on the website, but I found this set on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-198 ... 0350807637

for $239 and it includes the trunk weatherstrip (which mine is still in good condition)

can I fix this or do I need a new upper hinge? anyone have one for sale?
This isnt an expensive fix at all, I just rebuilt all 4 of my hinges for a grand total of like 25 bucks.You can get the replacement pins with a set of regular and a set of oversized bushings for 5 and change at autozone in there HELP section.The roller is a different story I ended up using one for a c/k pickup as I couldnt find one for a g-body allthough I didnt look very hard.Anyway the roller for pickups has the same dimensons save for being about 1-2" longer which I drilled the top of the hinge body the same dia.,cut off the excess and staked it,g2g.Now granted I have the doors removed which makes it nice because you can stick the hinge in a vise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor