Finally found the wheels I'm going to get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
dogshit said:
Why do anti performance modifications to a special factory performance platform? ie the 442. Do it to a regular Cutlass then nobody or few care. You don't have to be into what performance oriented guys are into but why take one of the few cars the factory made for performance and turn it into a drive-able but show piece? Why did you spend the extra coin to get a 442 in the first place? I just do not understand this. People take 4x4s and make em low riders instead of makeing them better 4x4s or take a low rider and make it into a 4x4 instead of makeing it a better low rider. Why didn't you just save some coin & a special car and buy a regular Cutlass if you were planing these kinds of mods?

"Performance platform"? It came with a 307 4-BBL! Hardly the tire-screecher that you're makin it out to be, although I get what you're sayin...(what was it...like, 170 HP?)

The funny part is, the reason why I'm doing 22's, is BECAUSE it's a 442...if it were a regular Cutlass Supreme, Salon, etc., then I'd do 24's or bigger, since I'd have to cut/modify the car. But, with 22's, you don't have to do that...(although everybody on here thinks you do)

This isn't my first Cutlass, and I wanted a 442...I bought the one I have for a VERY good price, and in the end, it's my car. I know people on here would give me sh*t about it cause most people on here appear to be purists and don't like anything that against the grain, but hey...we're all individuals, we all think differently, and this is how I want to customize MY car. If you, and everybody is comfortable with keeping your relatively stock and looking like it came from the showroom floor, then more power to you...you get my respect. I just chose not to go that direction.

If for some reason I HAD to sell it, I'd paint it back to it's original color, and put the stocks back on and the original motor, and nobody would be the wiser (except for those reading this post)

2000 Mali, I understand its his money and he can do any damn thing he wants with it. I never questioned that.

Yea performance platform. Stiffer springs & swaybars, faster ratio steering, most importantly a HD 8.5 rear with 3.73s. Never said anything about the lame 307 they were stuck with at that time. I am not a died in the wool purist. In fact check out the pics of my 442 and you will see I put a 509ci Cadillac engine in it. I also widened the stock rear wheels so that I could mount some meats on it so that it would stick and go ie both take the performance platform and better it. More power and better traction. I am not knocking you or your mods. Just questioning why you would do it to a 442 when you could do it to a regular Cutlass as I have seen this trend by those into the giant wheel thing. They seem to want the 442/GN/MCSS even though they plan to go in the opposite direction with it. Somebody would love to have that 8.5 3.73 so they could take advantage of it as well as the rest of the package. Again I am not attacking or knocking you just with 22s you are not concerned with acceleration/traction so you have no need for the 8.5 ie so what makes the difference to you whether its a 442 with an 8.5 or a regular Cutty with a 7.5 as you are not going to hook it up hard enough for it to matter.

Again its just my personality trying to understand this groups thinking. But hey I am weird like that I guess. I think like I could not have a hood scoop for looks only it has to be functional or not at all for me. No poser here. Others are happy with fake scoops just for looks and that IS ok for them. Then again I have a GN that has a factory buldge in the hood that does nothing other than say I have muscle under the hood but then again it backs that up. I dunno just enjoy your ride.

dogshit said:
2000 Mali, I understand its his money and he can do any damn thing he wants with it. I never questioned that.

Yea performance platform. Stiffer springs & swaybars, faster ratio steering, most importantly a HD 8.5 rear with 3.73s. Never said anything about the lame 307 they were stuck with at that time. I am not a died in the wool purist. In fact check out the pics of my 442 and you will see I put a 509ci Cadillac engine in it. I also widened the stock rear wheels so that I could mount some meats on it so that it would stick and go ie both take the performance platform and better it. More power and better traction. I am not knocking you or your mods. Just questioning why you would do it to a 442 when you could do it to a regular Cutlass as I have seen this trend by those into the giant wheel thing. They seem to want the 442/GN/MCSS even though they plan to go in the opposite direction with it. Somebody would love to have that 8.5 3.73 so they could take advantage of it as well as the rest of the package. Again I am not attacking or knocking you just with 22s you are not concerned with acceleration/traction so you have no need for the 8.5 ie so what makes the difference to you whether its a 442 with an 8.5 or a regular Cutty with a 7.5 as you are not going to hook it up hard enough for it to matter.

Again its just my personality trying to understand this groups thinking. But hey I am weird like that I guess. I think like I could not have a hood scoop for looks only it has to be functional or not at all for me. No poser here. Others are happy with fake scoops just for looks and that IS ok for them. Then again I have a GN that has a factory buldge in the hood that does nothing other than say I have muscle under the hood but then again it backs that up. I dunno just enjoy your ride.

Trust me, I understand 100% where you're coming from...

On a message board I'm on that's dedicated to the big wheel movement/lifestyle (http://www.midweststreetryders.com), I've had several discussions about which direction to take....the "customization" side of me tells me to go all-out, while the "common sense" side of me tells me don't do anything that's irreversible on the car. The paint is the only other thing I "worry" about. I don't DARE tell you what color I want to go, but I know people on here (or Cutlass enthusiasts in general) would be pissed, thinkin I bastardized their car.

As for the 8.5/3:73, I'm fully aware they're in the car....I've still got the original window sticker with mine. When I got it, I only paid $1800 for the car. I'm thinkin "ok...for $1800, I can get a 442 and stand out, or get a run-of-the-mill, basic Cutlass"....which route would you have chosen?! Thought so! Also, since you were wondering, that's the main reason why people who are with the "big wheel lifestyle" choose those cars...cause they can be found for not much more money (and sometimes less) than the basic model, and they also want the performance aspect as well.

The only thing I can say is: don't let the size scare you. Trust me, regardless of the wheel size, I'm going to take full advantage of the car, and the car will be done tastefully. It's not going to be jacked up in the air, cut, or any of that. They'll bolt right on with no additional work needed. I think ya'll have seen so much bad stuff, that ya'll think everything rim-wise fits in that category. I'll find a few pics to show you...

I would like to see your car on the 22's with out having to cut anything! do you have to do anything to get them to fit other than bolt them on because I would love to put some 20 x 10 or 11's in the back of my wagon

SLICK79WGN said:
I would like to see your car on the 22's with out having to cut anything! do you have to do anything to get them to fit other than bolt them on because I would love to put some 20 x 10 or 11's in the back of my wagon

Ok, you'll see...trust me, it's a direct bolt-on with no work needed.

The ONLY thing I'll need to do, is use a spacer to push the wheel out from the frame, unless I'm able to order it with a 0 offset. If not, then all that's needed is a spacer. Absolutely NO lifting, cutting, fender rolling, etc.is needed

First, not into the big rim thing at all, but to each his own.

As far as fitting a large rim, I think alot of people are missing it's all about overall size.

I have 30x9x15 radials on the back of my Cutlass.

The wheelwell does not "care" if it's 15 inches of rim and 7.5 inches (x2) of tire or 20 inches of rim and 5 inches(x2) of tire. They both equal 30 inches diameter.

Up front a larger rim could be easier since it will clear brakes, spindles etc etc.

Again my opinion is it does not look right but with carefull measuring you should be able to stuff 24z under it.

I would like to see some big rim/tire cars that are stock height or even lowered.

Trying to keep an open mind.

Us here on GBodyForum way much prefer the look of rally/sport rims on our GBodies, not these 35" hood rat rims. Find a group of guys who do.. try searching "I ruined my car using Oversized rims forum".

I have spoken.

This topic really brings out the worst of the users on this site. Everything is ok untill someone mentions big rims and then this forum sounds like one of those honda civic forums. Pretty disappointing really.

Now that was just a useless comment because everyone on GBodyForum DON'T feel the same way as you. Hell, if you want rallies or big rims on your car do it the only one that it should matter to would be you and thats it anyone else should not have a f***in issue about anyways, and the last time i looked out at the top of this page it says that this is a G/A-Body Community which means for anyone. So, that means for you and those that are into rallies and factory style wheels and for those who prefer bigger wheels.
87GrandPrix said:
Us here on GBodyForum way much prefer the look of rally/sport rims on our GBodies, not these 35" hood rat rims. Find a group of guys who do.. try searching "I ruined my car using Oversized rims forum".

I have spoken.

blizack i really agree with you on this, its really just stupid.
blizack said:
This topic really brings out the worst of the users on this site. Everything is ok untill someone mentions big rims and then this forum sounds like one of those honda civic forums. Pretty disappointing really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor