Finally found the wheels I'm going to get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
87GrandPrix said:
Us here on GBodyForum way much prefer the look of rally/sport rims on our GBodies, not these 35" hood rat rims. Find a group of guys who do.. try searching "I ruined my car using Oversized rims forum".

I have spoken.

Does it take much practice to be this much of a dick, or is it a God-given talent?

If YOU don't like "oversized rims", that's fine...however, speak for yourself and quit lumping everyone else into that category. They're grown men and can speak for themselves.

You'd rather run me off the board because of the rim size I choose to do, rather than finding out about me and my full intent of the car...that's a real smart thing to do.

:rant: :soapbox:

How hard is it to just *not* flame a guy for having/wanting/liking (or the opposite) big wheels (or anything else)?

shotgun said:
First, not into the big rim thing at all, but to each his own.

As far as fitting a large rim, I think alot of people are missing it's all about overall size.

I have 30x9x15 radials on the back of my Cutlass.

The wheelwell does not "care" if it's 15 inches of rim and 7.5 inches (x2) of tire or 20 inches of rim and 5 inches(x2) of tire. They both equal 30 inches diameter.

Up front a larger rim could be easier since it will clear brakes, spindles etc etc.

Again my opinion is it does not look right but with carefull measuring you should be able to stuff 24z under it.

I would like to see some big rim/tire cars that are stock height or even lowered.

Trying to keep an open mind.

Thank you (at the last sentence)....that's all I ask. I appreciate it.

....and BTW, I'm doing 22's, not 24's. That would require suspension modification, and I dont want to do that to this car

I would like to see some big rim/tire cars that are stock height or even lowered.

Trying to keep an open mind.[/quote]

My cutlass has 20x8's front and back with 1" billet spacers in the back(looks like has staggered wheels but there not lol).The front is lowered about 3/4-1" and will be going about 1 1/2" more.the back will be lowered about 2".Check out the pics,let me know what ya think.I think it will look good,but thats just my opinion.lol

For me, I wouldn't do that with my car. However, it's your car and I bet it's going to look really nice.

Hurry up and get some pics up! 😀

shotgun said:

Here's a GN on staggered 22's...as mentioned, no modifications were done.

What do you think?

09pics066.jpg

Here's another one on 22x9/22x11 Asanti AF120's...

2006_0929MYGRANNY0101.jpg

Well they are clean cars. What do you think. Hmnn the rims are too big for the body lines of the car. The cars with the same wheels would look better with 18s. IMO. The professional auto stylist designed wheelwells, flow, bodlines etc for 15s & 16s. 17s also work excellent even 18 & 14s work pretty well beyond that it just looks like something is not matched up right. I know its a trend just like the dudes who put the front of the car in the air. Again not hateing or anything just answering your question.

Which way would of I went for your goals? I would have went with the regular Cutlass. Because if you are changing the wheels and doing a paint job you are going to stand out anyway and specifically to fit you & your theme if you will. I am sure I see it differently and I don't disrespect a difference of opinion. To me the being a 442/GN/MCSS detracts & distracts from the theme if you will.

dogshit said:
Well they are clean cars. What do you think. Hmnn the rims are too big for the body lines of the car. The cars with the same wheels would look better with 18s. IMO. The professional auto stylist designed wheelwells, flow, bodlines etc for 15s & 16s. 17s also work excellent even 18 & 14s work pretty well beyond that it just looks like something is not matched up right. I know its a trend just like the dudes who put the front of the car in the air. Again not hateing or anything just answering your question.

Which way would of I went for your goals? I would have went with the regular Cutlass. Because if you are changing the wheels and doing a paint job you are going to stand out anyway and specifically to fit you & your theme if you will. I am sure I see it differently and I don't disrespect a difference of opinion. To me the being a 442/GN/MCSS detracts & distracts from the theme if you will.

Honestly, it's not a trend...a lot of people think of it as such, but riding this way is a way of life for a lot of people. Some want to dismiss it as a "fad", but it's here to stay. A lot of cars are actually done right...it's just the ridiculous pics that always seem to make it online to showcase.

....and no, I didnt want a regular Cutlass. Why would I want a regular car? I'd be no different than anybody else. I know you'll disagree, but a lot of the GN's/442's, etc, are the same way these are....stock paint job (or redone over), a nice set of wheels, and some extra goodies under the hood. I'm not doing a flashy paint job...I'm redoing the factory colors all over again. I'm not going to disrespect the car. The insides will be different, as I'm doing a digital dash, billet pieces, leather/suede combo, etc. It'll be classy...trust me. The purists won't like it, but hey...they didnt pay for it either.

Moved to where the big wheel cars and lowriders are usually posted. Not intended as an insult, but rather to keep tensions down.

87Cutlass442 said:
Phoenyx said:
So is there any benefit to doing this? Besides worsening your braking, acceleration, handling, and future resale value? Why not just go and buy a 4x4?

Let's see...

Acceleration? Won't have that problem...lots of engine work will be taking place once Christmas is out the way. I've currently got a 350 Rocket from a '76 Supreme, but I've still got the original 307

Braking? Ordering a big brake kit from SSBC, or Wilwood...whichever I can get the best price on.

Handling? Who knows? Could care less...

Future resale value? Who cares...I bought this for ME, not to make a buck off of...

....and as far as a 4x4 goes, the car will sit at stock height. A 22" rim with a 30-series requires NO modifications whatsoever. Anybody who tells you it does, has no idea what they're talking about.

That is all that matters. Build it for the love not $$. Too many people can't seem to grasp that because they think just because they have a set of 3-10 thousand dollar set of wheels they will break even or make some $$ on the car. Just look at the Atlanta craigslist from time to time and you will see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor