Finally found the wheels I'm going to get...

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
why take one of the few cars the factory made for performance and turn it into a drive-able but show piece?

dearest dogshit....

what about those who have GNs and try to turn them into museum type cars? you know, its very pretty but is hardly ever driven except to a car show to show how pretty it is. sure its a performance car but they never really use it as one. that's wasting a perfectly good GN isnt it?

then again ive seen this same thing done to mustangs, chevelles, novas, all kinds of cars really. its a terrible shame to see them as all show and no go but its not our car and we cant say much about it.

its his car and he can do whatever he wants to it. i know you'll agree but interject that he could do this with another car. maybe, but this is his car and he can do whatever he wants with it even if we dont like it.

i dont like huge rims. im talking 24's wheels and jacking the car up 1 foot to make them fit. i cant stand it. that's why i dont do it to my car. even though i dont like it, i dont tell someone what to do with their car or what i think they should do. not like this. there are lots of things i dont like that members do with their cars but you know what, that's what make america great, the freedom to do what ever we want with our own property.

i will give the OP credit for one thing. he isnt doing what i got dat is doing in his thread. he's trying to rise about the negative comments and i applaud him for that.

i can also understand why they get tired of this. being the owner of a pontiac i cant remember how many people have made the comment that pontiac stands for poor old #@&# thinks its a cadillac. THAT enrages me to no end but you know what? i have to learn to rise above it and for the most part i do. its my car and noone can really say sh*t about it. they dont pay the insurance, gas, taxes, registeration...so their words are meaningless. but like i said, i can understand where they're coming from with their frustration from the negativity they get about their car.

i even understand the negative remarks regarding what they do to their cars BUT...its their car and if we arent going to say something nice then we shouldnt say anything at all.

you dont see me ragging on their choice of wheels. hell i dont even like the color of certain g-bodies ive seen, i dont comment openly about that either. i try to be positive and helpful to people to ask for help and try to get along with others. thankfully this forum is full of people just like that. im glad we dont have a forum full of people really letting loose on people who make their negative remarks about other people's cars.

so they dont have a car like most of us, so what. let them be.

Last edited by a moderator:

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
why take one of the few cars the factory made for performance and turn it into a drive-able but show piece?

dearest dogshit....

what about those who have GNs and try to turn them into museum type cars? you know, its very pretty but is hardly ever driven except to a car show to show how pretty it is. sure its a performance car but they never really use it as one. that's wasting a perfectly good GN isnt it?

then again ive seen this same thing done to mustangs, chevelles, novas, all kinds of cars really. its a terrible shame to see them as all show and no go but its not our car and we cant say much about it.

its his car and he can do whatever he wants to it. i know you'll agree but interject that he could do this with another car. maybe, but this is his car and he can do whatever he wants with it even if we dont like it.

i dont like huge rims. im talking 24's wheels and jacking the car up 1 foot to make them fit. i cant stand it. that's why i dont do it to my car. even though i dont like it, i dont tell someone what to do with their car or what i think they should do. not like this. there are lots of things i dont like that members do with their cars but you know what, that's what make america great, the freedom to do what ever we want with our own property.

i will give the OP credit for one thing. he isnt doing what i got dat is doing in his thread. he's trying to rise about the negative comments and i applaud him for that.

i can also understand why they get tired of this. being the owner of a pontiac i cant remember how many people have made the comment that pontiac stands for poor old @#$^ thinks its a cadillac. THAT enrages me to no end but you know what? i have to learn to rise above it and for the most part i do. its my car and noone can really say sh*t about it. they dont pay the insurance, gas, taxes, registeration...so their words are meaningless. but like i said, i can understand where they're coming from with their frustration from the negativity they get about their car.

i even understand the negative remarks regarding what they do to their cars BUT...its their car and if we arent going to say something nice then we shouldnt say anything at all.

you dont see me ragging on their choice of wheels. hell i dont even like the color of certain g-bodies ive seen, i dont comment openly about that either. i try to be positive and helpful to people to ask for help and try to get along with others. thankfully this forum is full of people just like that. im glad we dont have a forum full of people really letting loose on people who make their negative remarks about other people's cars.

so they dont have a car like most of us, so what. let them be.

Thank you...I really appreciate that.

I've always tried to be respectful and give people some "food for thought", instead of lashing out and turning it into a shouting (or in this case, typing) match/war of words. It's not about that.

I've never understood why some people drive their cars 2 miles a year, or keep it in a heat-controlled environment with 10 diff.locks, and only bring it out when it's 90 degrees or better, or only drive it around the block when they do...

It's a CAR. It's meant to be appreciated. IMO, if you appreciated the artwork, design, engineering, etc, you're doing a huge disservice letting it sit there and rot away. I'm not saying don't treat it with respect, or don't give a damn about it, but...enjoy it. That's what it's made for. We're only granted a small time on this planet, so thats why you need to make the most out of the experience.

Also, I've never left a car stock. The only car that's still "stock", is my daily driver...a 2006 Impala, and even that had 20" Davin Streetspin 2's and some TV's in the headrest. The rims were stolen a few years ago, so now, all I've got is the TVs for my kids.

With this car, I'm going to use some personal touches to bring it back into 2009...a digital dash, some leather/suede, a lil' bit of fiberglassing, a few TVs, etc. Some may not like it, but that's ok...you won't find one car that's accepted by EVERYBODY. I bought the car, and I'm going to drive it, so I'm going to build it to my liking, but it will remain tasteful at the same time.

It's funny how the "big wheel" guys never disrespect the motor/performance/preferrably-stock guys..we respect what they're about and what they do, but it's not reciprocated. Shots are taken at us repeatedly about our taste, what we do for a living, stereotypes, etc...you name it, it's mentioned. It saddens me that some people feel that way, esp.when the information is generally wrong. I'm married with 2 children, and I've worked for AT&T for almost 10 years....but, when my car is done, I'm sure someone will assume that I didn't get it the honest way because of the rim size, etc...which is a shame.

All I can say is to sit back and watch it unfold...

Last edited by a moderator:

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I have to admit, those GNz seem to be tastefully done. Clean lines, no metal flake or crazy logos.

Oh, is staggered a new way of saying "big and littles" or just explaining how you get them to fit ie different offsets?

I would prefer to see them lowered a bit, but hey, they are not my cars.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
shotgun said:
I have to admit, those GNz seem to be tastefully done. Clean lines, no metal flake or crazy logos.

Oh, is staggered a new way of saying "big and littles" or just explaining how you get them to fit ie different offsets?

I would prefer to see them lowered a bit, but hey, they are not my cars.

Thanks, and yes...with what we do, you can do 2 options:

2 diff.wheels sizes; i.e 22's up front, and 24's in the rear

OR

22x9 up front, and a 22x11 in the rear...that's usually what's done.

If you order the rims, we always get a 0 offset...BUT, our bolt pattern is the same as a BMW 745LI, so used 3-piece rims are widely available, and they've got a +15 offset, so spacers/adapters have to be used in the rear to push it off the frame.

I'm lowering mine in the rear to get the proper "stance".....I'll find a pic to show you the look I'm goin for

Oregon350Cutlass

Apprentice
Jan 4, 2008
I know that 20's arent the norm when it comes to performance but if they were that bad why would they put 20x12 on the back and 19x10 on the front of the 2009 Corvette Zr1? They gotta be good for something.Especially if they can pull over 1g in corning grip & runs low 11's in the 1/4 from the factory.I know that a vette isnt a gbody but you get my point.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
G Body Ent, I am no fan of trailer queens or museum pieces either. Mine were built to be driven and not just thru some stop lights and back home. As an example most people would simply do a th400 with the crazy low end torque of a Cad 509 (which makes the most sense for how most would actually use this car with that engine). I spent extra to have a built 200-4r. Why because I wanted to be nearly optimized for both quarter mile and highway not one or the other. The result was it pretty much took advantage of all the gear to give it the best quarter mile and achieved 17.0 mpg on an out of state interstate trip where we traveled at 70 to 75mph. (With no excessive engine wear or heat to boot.)

Any of that have anything to do with his question of what do you think of these GN pictures with big wheels? I never attached him or even felt like it nor did I slander etc. I just answered by saying the cars were clean but IMO would look better with the same wheel only in a 17 or 18" rim because they would fit the wheels wells and body lines of the cars better. Also that a tire on a smaller diameter wheel with the tire of the same height and width will provide better straight line traction which often becomes important for a powerful street car. Naturally on the reverse if you have limited power and maximum cornering is more important to you then the lower profile bigger diameter rim would be a better choice.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
87Cutlass442 said:
Let's see...

Braking? Ordering a big brake kit from SSBC, or Wilwood...whichever I can get the best price on.

Handling? Who knows? Could care less...

I wonder if Wilwood or Baer makes an 18" brake kit???
Handling? It should hang with a new Tahoe...

JAYO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2009
All I can say is WoW..... Some of you have very closed minds.....

I rode 275/25/24's for over a year, even drove from Atlanta to Dallas and back with no issues.. Myrtle beach as well. My car wasant lifted, cut, altered or anything... Full stereo and all....

jayo-1.jpg

DSC_0449-1.jpg

I later sold them and bought staggered 22'z in 22x9 front and 22x11 rear...

j4.jpg

SDC10596.jpg

So now I have a Regal and I plan to run 22'z as well.... 22x9 front, 22x10.5 rear...

IMG00021-20100308-1948.jpg

Sorry about the huge pic...LoL!

I actually look at stock MC'z, SS'z, and Regals and especially Grand Nationals like the wheels are wayyyyy to small... Industry standard is now an 18 and larger for SUV's... Very rear do you find a wheel smaller unless it's a compact car.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Re:

Oregon350Cutlass said:
I know that 20's arent the norm when it comes to performance but if they were that bad why would they put 20x12 on the back and 19x10 on the front of the 2009 Corvette Zr1? They gotta be good for something.Especially if they can pull over 1g in corning grip & runs low 11's in the 1/4 from the factory.I know that a vette isnt a gbody but you get my point.

This isn't the best example, a car with 640 hp that gets 11.3?? I mean it's great, but there's fullsize trucks running those times with that much power. It'd have better handling and be quicker with 15-18" wheels with the right tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor