Finally running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Hey guys, if you dont remember me basically i have a 1978 buick regal with 22k miles which has been sitting for years. so i got it started a few months ago but didnt really record it. here is a video of it running, also at the end i am recording the manifolds because (you cant really tell) smoke was coming off. it is probably just dust or rat poop from all the years but i just need some assurance. also if you are wondering i currently am working on brake lines because one of them snapped while i was changing the brake hose. one more question, at the end when i shut off the car, is it normal to be hard to take the key out.

Reactions: 1 user

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
I had trouble with my Buick Apollo getting the key out which was because the key I was using was worn a bit. Used the spare key which was brand new and no problem. Also, the other extreme, I had keys cut and they were not perfect and were hard to insert or remove.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
I had trouble with my Buick Apollo getting the key out which was because the key I was using was worn a bit. Used the spare key which was brand new and no problem. Also, the other extreme, I had keys cut and they were not perfect and were hard to insert or remove.
Yea i dont have a spare key for this one, my grandparents probably lost it along with the owners manual. do you think you can make these keys at one of those dollar key places?

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
If they have the correct blank it should be no problem. I made a bunch of keys for my older cars due to losing them or being snapped in a frozen trunk lock which is another story....:) i know some of the gbody parts places advertised on this site sell key blanks. It has been so long since I had keys made not sure what is carried nowadays.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would have a quality key cut at a lock shop. You get what you pay for. If the key is badly worn it won't be a good pattern for a replacement key. You could try to lube the lock with graphite. Be careful, don't get it on the interior.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Should be able to have new keys made. The smoke is probably just dust or poop. Check for leaky valve cover gaskets.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
I would have a quality key cut at a lock shop. You get what you pay for. If the key is badly worn it won't be a good pattern for a replacement key. You could try to lube the lock with graphite. Be careful, don't get it on the interior.
will do man, how much would you think it costs?

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Should be able to have new keys made. The smoke is probably just dust or poop. Check for leaky valve cover gaskets.
idk because i touched the top of the manifolds and they were pretty cool to the touch, but with leaky valve cover gaskets thats the oil fumes leaking from the valve cover?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
idk because i touched the top of the manifolds and they were pretty cool to the touch, but with leaky valve cover gaskets thats the oil fumes leaking from the valve cover?[/QUOTE

The gaskets are probably dried out and you never know what other stuff is on that engine that has to burn off. Has it been driven at all lately where the engine has been at temp for awhile? If not, you probably have residue that needs the heat to really burn off. Plus when you get it working how you want it, a good cleaning to get rid of any crud might help you spot present leaks better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor