First Oops...Rear bumper filler panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Gentlemen,
You can't use the Malibu wagon rear fillers on the Buick. It would have to be for an Olds or Buick wagon only.

Any particular reason for that? I did notice on that site that there are three different pieces. The end caps, and the middle filler panel. The current filler panel appears to be a one-piece. Appears that it's some type of urethane, but not exactly sure. To be on the safe side, I kept the broken piece if there's any way it can be patched back in.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Any particular reason for that? I did notice on that site that there are three different pieces. The end caps, and the middle filler panel. The current filler panel appears to be a one-piece. Appears that it's some type of urethane, but not exactly sure. To be on the safe side, I kept the broken piece if there's any way it can be patched back in.
Yes, the bodies are shaped differently between the various GM models. My fellow wagon owners can vouch for that. The center filler under the tailgate is probably the same, but the ends are definitely different.
You could possibly use the broken piece as a mold as Mr. Fleming suggested if you're unable to locate another filler.

Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Yes, the bodies are shaped differently between the various GM models. My fellow wagon owners can vouch for that. The center filler under the tailgate is probably the same, but the ends are definitely different.
You could possibly use the broken piece as a mold as Mr. Fleming suggested if you're unable to locate another filler.

I may contact that company and explain my situation, and see if they have a piece that will fit the Regal Estate/Cutlass Cruiser. I actually think a good body shop might be able to repair it. Just a matter of cost/benefit.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
They're urethane, and not really repairable when they're this old and brittle.

Like Jack said, has to be Buick/Olds, the Chevrolet and Pontiacs are different. The difference being the surface where they abut the quarter panel, the body style line is different between the 2 bodies

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Replica Plastics wrote back and basically told me I was SOL. Well, not exactly. But they said they'd never sold this piece for a Regal. I guess the hunt is on for a NOS or good-condition salvage piece. I actually think my chances are better on the former rather than the latter.

• Agree

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Replica Plastics wrote back and basically told me I was SOL. Well, not exactly. But they said they'd never sold this piece for a Regal. I guess the hunt is on for a NOS or good-condition salvage piece. I actually think my chances are better on the former rather than the latter.

I know of a Cutlass wagon in a wrecker...about an hour away from me. I usually get a list made to make it worthwhile going, sadly it's been much too cold lately for playing in the junkyard. I can check the next time I get there.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL

I can attest to this. Jack is right, the two bodies are different. What I did was get the rear fillers off a 4dr sedan then cut and shape them to fit. It's in no way perfect, bit it's far less noticeable than having no filler.

When it comes to narrowing - you can ask Jack - that's no easy task either. On my Cutlass wagon, it's near impossible to make look right. It's not the clean straight smooth bumper of a Malibu

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I can attest to this. Jack is right, the two bodies are different. What I did was get the rear fillers off a 4dr sedan then cut and shape them to fit. It's in no way perfect, bit it's far less noticeable than having no filler.

When it comes to narrowing - you can ask Jack - that's no easy task either. On my Cutlass wagon, it's near impossible to make look right. It's not the clean straight smooth bumper of a Malibu
Hi Ed,
Welcome back...and Happy New Year! You're right, narrowing the rear bumper is a little easier and straight forward compared to doing the front bumpers...especially on Olds and Buick wagons. Jim (liquidh8) could fill you in on that.
When I cut the rear bumper, I should have cut a small section off of each side, rather than chopping a section from the middle. Cutting it from the middle requires having to redrill a bunch of holes in the bumper support to get things to line up again. Also, the bumper support bar needs to be shortened to fit the bumper.
It's a time consuming task, that's for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor