FlyneBye Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
here is the link: http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i261.html

as far as the axle flange -- yes, i cut the top off and had to drill the two holes at the top to match the backing plate. 2 holes at the bottom matched up, but needed to be drilled to a larger size (3/8").

The 13" rotors are C6 Z51, got them from power stop part # K5159-26.

one thing that i found out too late about was that even though this kit uses the z51 rotors, it uses c5/c6 base model abutment brackets. i bought the z51's.

the correct abutment brackets should be coming in the mail on monday, and i'll be able to show the finished product next week.

let me know if you have any other questions.

Hey Thanks! The measurements of the holes in the flange are probably the same as with the LS1 Camaro backing plate. As I recall, the bottom ones lined up, of course needed to be enlarged, and then the top one's drilled. What are those gold flanges shown in the bottom of the link photo? Spacers? And then you need the Corvette Calipers and abutment brackets? What specifically year wise and model would I look for?

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Here's a photo of what my flange looks like for the 12" LS1 Camaro rear brakes. I think the bolt holes for the 13" Corvette brakes look the same. The top holes are wider apart in both applications. Here's the Corvette parts:

http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i261.html

Attachments

• Finished%20Axle%20Flange.jpg
    Finished%20Axle%20Flange.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 246

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I just noticed what you said about the abutment brackets. I had the same thing happen on the front Corvette brakes with flynbye's brackets. I bought the correct abutment brackets for 14" rotors with the zo6 calipers only to find out I needed the abutment brackets for the smaller corvette brakes. If you could call up this guy and get some information from him about what he sells, it wouldn't be such a PI/A. By the way, are you going to use an emergency brake?

Last edited:

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
Hey Thanks! The measurements of the holes in the flange are probably the same as with the LS1 Camaro backing plate. As I recall, the bottom ones lined up, of course needed to be enlarged, and then the top one's drilled. What are those gold flanges shown in the bottom of the link photo? Spacers? And then you need the Corvette Calipers and abutment brackets? What specifically year wise and model would I look for?

Yes, those gold colored pieces are 2 plates/spacers that are between the axle flange and the backplate... I got the c6 z51 calipers because they come from the factory black powdercoated, but you have to use the base model c5/c6 abutment brackets. to be honest, i wasn't able to find a better package on the caliper and accessories that kore3. tobin provides excellent service: http://www.kore3.com/products.php?cat=25

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I just noticed what you said about the abutment brackets. I had the same thing happen on the front Corvette brakes with flynbye's brackets. I bought the correct abutment brackets for 14" rotors with the zo6 calipers only to find out I needed the abutment brackets for the smaller corvette brakes. If you could call up this guy and get some information from him about what he sells, it wouldn't be such a PI/A. By the way, are you going to use an emergency brake?

Yeah, well as you can read all over the place Ed is tough to get ahold of... but he does get back to me. If the instructions were online then i would have known about the brackets, add to this that he forgot to put the instructions in the box so i thought i had received the wrong parts.

Yes on the emergency brake, thats actually the only reason i went with the flynbye setup. the kore3 setup is great, except since i'll be running a t56 i'd like to have a functioning e-brake.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Got a timeline for when you might know if the brackets hit the frame? I am almost going to put a front mounted blazer disk setup on my 8.5 and everyone puts them on facing backwards, but i'm curious to know if these fit facing forward with c5/6 stuff. If they do I might go this way instead.

Just want to know how long I want to wait :)

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
Got a timeline for when you might know if the brackets hit the frame? I am almost going to put a front mounted blazer disk setup on my 8.5 and everyone puts them on facing backwards, but i'm curious to know if these fit facing forward with c5/6 stuff. If they do I might go this way instead.

Just want to know how long I want to wait :)

i'll post some pics tonight. i was holding off because i've got an issue to work out, it is the bleeder valve. The calipers clear the frame, but the bleeder valve does not. the calipers have the long bleeder screws with the cap tethered to it (very nice).

i will probably get a short one and try that, and if i can't dream up anything better and the short screw wont fit i'll have to trim the nipple off down to the hex part of the screw

Reactions: 1 user

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
OK guys, here are the photos. calipers barely clear (1/2" gap), but the bleeder will not. let me know if you want another shot, obviously i am not a professional photographer.

according to the instructions, that aluminum spacer is supposed to go between the abutment bracket and the gold adapter plate. obviously it will not fit.

short bleeder is needed and it will have to be cut down to the hex. the bolt will need to be cut and the aluminum spacer eliminated.

IMG_20190327_194915729.jpg

IMG_20190327_195012186.jpg

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
OK guys, here are the photos. calipers barely clear (1/2" gap), but the bleeder will not. let me know if you want another shot, obviously i am not a professional photographer.

according to the instructions, that aluminum spacer is supposed to go between the abutment bracket and the gold adapter plate. obviously it will not fit.

short bleeder is needed and it will have to be cut down to the hex. the bolt will need to be cut and the aluminum spacer eliminated.

View attachment 109666
View attachment 109667
sounds like a good excuse to notch the frame.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
i also got some flexkore brake hoses from Tobin a few days ago. i'll take a photo with the hose installed also, that connection is just an inch or so below the bleeder screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor