Ford 9" rear, needs new drums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
My 87 has a 9" rear end, out of an unknown car. From what I can tell from online pics, it's an early "big bearing" rear end. Current drums are 11", 2.25" shoe.

For some random reason one of the drums is significantly deeper than the other, like 3.75" va 5.25". The 5.25" one comes very close to hitting my newly installled bilstein rear shock, the other side is just fine.

I'd like to just replace both drums. What I found online is a M-1126-b drum that sounds right but I can't think of any way of confirming this is the right drum.

Anyone know what I'm working with?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
They are caked with rust and unreadable.

I would try cleaning them with a steel brush, if it's still not readable then take a picture and enlarge the picture on your computer and if that doesn't work you can magnaflux it to read the numbers

Last edited:

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
Thanks for the info. Based on the width of my rear and it seems it is from a Lincoln Versailles, but those supposedly have rear disc brakes. Based on my measurements I went ahead and ordered the drums listed in my first post as everything seemed to line up. They fit great and are even lighter than the smaller of my two rear drums in addition to not having potential clearance issues with the one that looms like it came off a truck.

It's slowly getting there. I want to drive it this summer but it's starting to look less likely. OCD says I have to fix everything as I hate re doing things.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor