Frame Paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Are there any downsides to powdercoating your frame? I live 5 miles from you guys and that sounds like a good deal.
Make sure there’s no surfaces on the frame that’s smooth. My dad had wheels powder coated for his car, they were supposed to be blasted to remove the chrome and werent. The powder coating is bubbling and flaking off the wheels currently.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I used Chassis Saver from Magnet Paints on the frame and under body. The make a Gloss and Satin finish.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IQDHZW/?tag=gbody-20

I coated that with with Eastwood Chassis Black 2K for the correct semigloss finish I wanted.

Hutch

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
When I did the frame on my wagon I used a heavy wire cup on a 4" grinder. Got it down to bare metal pretty quick. Then PPG DP epoxy primer and two coats of SEM Hot Rod Black. I only did from the firewall forward. All the suspension parts got sandblasted and the same paint. I really like the SEM but the only downside is its almost impossible to touch up. Not something that you can just blend in.
That being said, my friend has done two Corvettes. Hes used Eastwood chassis black on both of them. One of them is in a shop in PA getting an ultra high dollar paint job. If I had to do it again I'd consider the Eastwood paint. I saw him touch up a couple of spots on the suspension and it feathered in pretty well using a simple aerosol.
Also when I was doing both cars I used 3M Body Schutz underneath the body. Since I had been using it for years I thought it would be the way to go. Then I found out about U Pol Raptor. Hands down 100 times better. It sprays out nicer and it dries hard as a rock. Live and learn.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That rusty metal primer apparently doesn't like clean metal. What does?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Epoxy primer also likes clean metal plus its waterproof. As I said before, the factory coating on GM frames isn't paint, its wax. GM recommends touching up frames with Nox-Rust X-121B. They also recommend not using Fluid Film as it attacks the factory wax frame coating.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Can any epoxy primer in non spray form be brushed on? Working in a driveway, so brushing is my only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor