Frame Paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
I’m gonna try this on the frame and inside of the trunk floor behind the patch panels. Heard good things about it, supposed to be as good or better than POR 15. I’ll follow up once I use it. It’s pricy, $56 a quart retail, $175 a gallon. Thank god for employee discounts.
4276A468-9720-468C-8FDD-43C2390A4680.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I used rustoleum after a complete frame sand blasting to remove surface rust as well as road tar/oils/wax. Made a 50/50 mix of shinny black and flat black to come up with a semi black shade. Sprayed it on. Make sure to spray into the frame rails. Spray in a lot so that it drains thru the weld cracks and frame holes. It matches with the Krylon semi Flat Black Rattle Can, I use for touch up. I used plastic painter's sheeting on the garage floor because the frame drips from inside the frame make a mess. Easy cleanup afterwards. I did three light coats drying about three days in between. Rusto takes time to dry completely. I used it also for all the black parts too.

Attachments

• FrameLR5.jpg
    FrameLR5.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: 2 users

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
Honestly, as someone who has spent a lot of money on products like POR-15 and SEM Rust Trap, I've been equally as satisfied with brush on black Rustoleum. IMO the satin black looks great. Put it over rusty metal primer and it holds up very well and its easy to touch up.

IMO powdercoat is the ultimate frame coating but unless you are taking it to a bare frame, its not really an option.

I vote Rustoleum for frames.

For your wheel wells and other underbody sheet metal, U-Pol Gravitex or Raptor Liner. Inexpensive, looks fantastic, easy to apply and touch up, and good quality. It's what I'll be using on my car.
I did my frame in Rustoleum 18 years ago still looks like I did yesterday
I did a gallon of it and kicked it back with lacquer thinner brushed it on out in the yard and the sun dried it as fast as I could put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor