Frankenstein - 1980 Cutlass with Buick 455

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA.
Here's the latest -

Got under the car to see a little better, found the "S" (starter trigger from neutral safety switch) to still be intact and hooked up, the main cable end was in bad shape and loose, and the other two wires were sheared off, probably from having the main cable end twist around when I tried to tighten it. Unbolted the starter to try to get some more space to work on it, the plastic end cap on the solenoid was shattered (age and heat I'm guessing) and the stud for the battery cable fell out. Parts store cut the battery cable back about 2" to good copper (I had extra length) and installed a new cable end. Tested the starter motor and it spun but was making bad noise, when I set it back on the counter it had chunks of bushing falling out. New starter will be getting installed in the next couple days.
:blam:

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Here's the latest -

Got under the car to see a little better, found the "S" (starter trigger from neutral safety switch) to still be intact and hooked up, the main cable end was in bad shape and loose, and the other two wires were sheared off, probably from having the main cable end twist around when I tried to tighten it. Unbolted the starter to try to get some more space to work on it, the plastic end cap on the solenoid was shattered (age and heat I'm guessing) and the stud for the battery cable fell out. Parts store cut the battery cable back about 2" to good copper (I had extra length) and installed a new cable end. Tested the starter motor and it spun but was making bad noise, when I set it back on the counter it had chunks of bushing falling out. New starter will be getting installed in the next couple days.
:blam:
It's progress

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
No surprise the Edelbrock carb was boiling, Dodge had that issue back in the 60's as a factory carb. Why anyone would pull a 800 cfm Buick 455 Qjet and replace it with the terrible Edelbrock, 750 is supposed to be the worst, is beyond me. Very cool car otherwise.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Several people told me when I was putting mine together, not to go smaller than an 800 cfm carb.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Several people told me when I was putting mine together, not to go smaller than an 800 cfm carb.
Olds is the same way, a 750 cfm is small for that many cubic inches.

• Disagree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
All BOP engines, even the small blocks, usually got the 800cfm carbs. My 3 17058241 ('78 Buick 350) carbs are 800, and the two "brother" carbs I have, 17057252 and 17057253 are both 800s from '77 403s.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
No surprise the Edelbrock carb was boiling, Dodge had that issue back in the 60's as a factory carb. Why anyone would pull a 800 cfm Buick 455 Qjet and replace it with the terrible Edelbrock, 750 is supposed to be the worst, is beyond me. Very cool car otherwise.

Ath the risk of starting a war here, I have to agree, the Qjet is by far the best street carburator out there IMHO.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Cletus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA.

Aftermarket intake with square bore maybe? Dad may not have got the original carb when he bought the engine? I know he doesn't like rebuilding carbs, and probably already had the Edelbrock sitting on a shelf when he built the engine. I don't know the scenario, I was living about 1800 miles away when he built this car.

Eventually this will be upgraded, probably to a Fitech fuel injection system.

Also I prefer (please note this is just my opinion) the Edelbrock over the Quadrajet for a few reasons, mostly for me the Edelbrock carbs are just what I know. Not going to get into a flame war about carb preference, there are a lot more divisive issues in the world to get bent out of shape over - You all can love your Quadrajets or Holleys all you want, I'm sure they are great, maybe even a better performing carb. It's just not going on my car.

I've had 3 Edelbrock carbs on different engines over the course of about the last 22 years and this is the first time I have seen one do this. Reading up on the internet it looks like it is a common thing now, but this was the first that I had ever heard of this issue, I'm wondering if it has to do with the quality of fuel now versus 20 years ago. (This car in almost the exact same configuration didn't have this problem 20 years ago with the same carb.) (oxygenated/high alcohol content = lower boiling temp? I don't know, but it seems legit??)

Anyway, it seems to be fixed now, got the new starter in and drove it to work today. :banana:

Cletus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA.
Ath the risk of starting a war here, I have to agree, the Qjet is by far the best street carburator out there IMHO.

You don't have to worry about a war with me. You may be correct, I just have my personal preference, from my experience Edelbrocks have just been easier for me to deal with. Probably mostly due to familiarity as it's what I started learning on when I was young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor