Front 2" lowering springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
^If you do ball joints, consider getting a shorter pair of upper A-arms. Otherwise youʻll just need a lot more camber shims than before. I use "tall spindle" uppers from Spohn with offset cross shafts.

For what itʻs worth, I used to run drop spindles and had no problems with them. Now I use Eibach Pro-kit springs with 1/2" taller ball joints. (A tall lower ball joint also adds some drop.)

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Look at your wheel/tire combo you presently have on your car and then imagine moving the combo up 2" and see if you will have any interference w/ tie rod ends or A arms

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I don't know about you guys, but I was not pleased with my cut spring experience. I did it right with a cut off wheel, and it looked good (79T/A). However, after about 3 days, it was on the bump stops. The only thing I could think was that the spring heated itself up faster causing it to get soft and drop. I don't know; I just didn't like it. I only cut a half coil off. I explore other options these days. So far, I'm happy with 5662s and the Belltech 2" drop Blazer spindles.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Something to think about....

Drop springs are dropped from the OE ride height as specified by GM. It is very likely that your car is already lower than the OE spec, just from age and wear. I have read many accounts of people installing drop springs that did not really get very much drop from where the car was before the spring swap, due to springs that had sagged from age.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
^If you do ball joints, consider getting a shorter pair of upper A-arms. Otherwise youʻll just need a lot more camber shims than before. I use "tall spindle" uppers from Spohn with offset cross shafts.

For what itʻs worth, I used to run drop spindles and had no problems with them. Now I use Eibach Pro-kit springs with 1/2" taller ball joints. (A tall lower ball joint also adds some drop.)

on thing I don't see mentioned when using tall lower ball joints is the lip of the lower control arm sits in the void between the hub and disk plate. When the spindle is raised with a tall lower joint the lip on my lower control arm was jammed against the disk plate. With the car up in the air and the front suspension was fully extended the lower control arm lip moves away from the disk plate so I didn't realize the issue till I had the car on the ground. I used my favorite tool to "modify" the shape of the lip... I have the F body spindle and F body disks so maybe with the G body set up you don't have the problem I had.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Something to think about....

Drop springs are dropped from the OE ride height as specified by GM. It is very likely that your car is already lower than the OE spec, just from age and wear. I have read many accounts of people installing drop springs that did not really get very much drop from where the car was before the spring swap, due to springs that had sagged from age.
That is correct. Here is a pic of my Cutlass with all new poly body bushings, BMR rear arms with poly, BMR front upper A arms with poly and stock lowers with new rubber bushings. I'm running Hotchkis 1" drop springs but it looks to be sitting at factory ride height. I'm assuming it appears that way due to replacing the worn out body bushings which essentially raised the body up some.
Once it nears completion I will see how it looks with the 17's.
20150621_153323.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
i went through this with my Cutlass wagon a couple years ago - (new springs and spindle drop) the 2" spindle drop was too much (for me), the tires hit the fender lip while turning. i put the stock spindles back in, but with the OLD original springs cut. i measured the overall height of the OLD stock springs then cut 1/2" (one half the 1" drop i wanted) off that height. combined with 30yr old springs the 1/2" cut gave me a 1" drop and was now just right. the high point of the wheel opening is now about 1/2" below the height of the tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor