Front end removal necessary for frame off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Im about ready to lift the body off the frame on my 79 malibu coupe using a 2 post lift

Im wondering if i can leave the front end intact or if i need to remove it. ie Fenders, hood, lights and radiator support etc. Im working alone so it would be alot easier for me to be able to not having to remove the hood for instance.

Whats your take on this?

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
The fenders bolt to the body. I'm pretty sure you'll have to remove the front end to lift the body.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
another thing, if your doing a frame off are you not changing the body bushings?. There are two where your rad support is attached to the frame.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Great advice

Yes i will be changing all bushings. Including those between the body and frame(poly) and every possible suspension one as well(mix of rubber and poly)

I gather there is no way arpund it. I have to renove the entire front end as well. Will have to get creative with the hood or call in backup(my wife)

Many thanks to you guys.

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
image.jpg
image.jpg

Since tve last photo the entire steering and suspension has been removed as well as the inner fenders. But this is my new toy bought 3 weeks ago in completely original condition. Im the third owner!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I wonder if you can lift the body off using a car lift, while leaving the front clip attached? Put the fender wells back on the reinforce the fenders? Maybe take off the hood to reduce the weight on the six fender bolts? Disconnect the master cylinder, steering and shift linkage, parking brake cable, speedometer cable, remove the radiator and bumpers, drop the gas tank, disconnect the brake pressure switch wire and body grounds, then the 10 or so body bolts. While you are under there, replace any damaged body bolt nuts and rotten sheet metal. Once the chassis is out, strip, derust and paint it, replace all the brake a fuel lines, then re-mate the body and frame. This ties up a lift for a while. Which is why I want one in my garage...

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I wonder if you can lift the body off using a car lift, while leaving the front clip attached? Put the fender wells back on the reinforce the fenders? Maybe take off the hood to reduce the weight on the six fender bolts? Disconnect the steering and shift linkage, parking brake cable, speedometer cable, remove the radiator and bumpers, drop the gas tank, disconnect the brake pressure switch wire and body grounds, then the 10 or so body bolts. While you are under there, replace any damaged body bolt nuts and rotten sheet metal. Once the chassis is out, strip, derust and paint it, replace all the brake a fuel lines, then re-mate the body and frame. This ties up a lift for a while. Which is why I want one in my garage...

Unfortunately, in order to do this my opinion would be you need to lift the body slightly (jack and blocks or hoist and blocks, etc) then place a support, something like a 4x6 beam that runs from the radiator suport back to the body mount locations so when the lift pushes the body up the core support is being supported.

From cutting cars apart, and seeing what is inside or near those mount points, I'd be concerned with weight and fatigue having negative effects with as long as that front clip would dangle in the air while the frame and underbody were worked on. The mount points weren't designed for that kind of weight and stress in that direction. Not worth the risk in my opinion, at least unless you support some of the weight off the front.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor