Fuel tank question

Status
Not open for further replies.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
fuel_vent_mod.jpg
My question for whom ever can tell me is if I purchase the Monte or GN tank with upgraded pump do I have to do this to the tank like this person did on his write up cause I don't see no one mentioning this modification to the tank.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Not necessary but will ease in filling up at the pump. This mod is done to stop the pump from cutting off a 100 times while filling up with aftermarket tanks. This aids in venting while pumping gas

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
Not necessary but will ease in filling up at the pump. This mod is done to stop the pump from cutting off a 100 times while filling up with aftermarket tanks. This aids in venting while pumping gas
Is there a company to purchase the tank from that doesn't have this issue

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I believe this has to do with "vapor recovery" pump nozzles, which used to be required by the feds, but no longer are (except of course here in California, what else). These old-style tanks vent through a channel inside the filler neck, and there are compatibility issues between the way the filler neck venting works and the way various "vapor recovery" nozzles work.

I've seen two different filler necks, Spectra and Dorman. The Spectra had a problem with two stations I was using -- like noted above, where the pump shuts off early and often and it takes forever to fill up. The Dorman does not have that issue at those stations, but did not work at all at a third station -- the pump refused to start pumping at all. The difference between the two necks is the venting above the hole where the nozzle is inserted. I have a picture somewhere. Basically, they both have two slits, but the Dorman also has two extra round holes.

But unless I'm mistaken, none of this should matter if you don't have "vapor recovery" nozzles to contend with.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Dorman on the left (or top), Spectra on the right (or bottom):

DORMAN.JPG
SPECTRA.JPG

Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
You wouldn't think, looking at those, that there could be any difference at the pump, but I've had nothing but. I'm currently using the Dorman with no trouble at one station where the Spectra took all afternoon. But then like I said, the Dorman can't get started at another station (never tried the Spectra there).

Last edited:

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I believe this has to do with "vapor recovery" pump nozzles, which used to be required by the feds, but no longer are (except of course here in California, what else). These old-style tanks vent through a channel inside the filler neck, and there are compatibility issues between the way the filler neck venting works and the way various "vapor recovery" nozzles work.

But unless I'm mistaken, none of this should matter if you don't have "vapor recovery" nozzles to contend with.

Have you tried to use the factory filler neck? I bought a Spectra tank without the filler neck, cut the filler neck out of a parts car and JB welded it in like the factory did. I haven't seen the vapor recovery nozzles in Michigan....Not enough tree huggers here : )

Last edited:

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
So if the station has the vapor recovery nozzle I'm ok.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
No -- if they do, all bets are off -- might work, might not, depending on your filler neck and the nozzle the station has.

I have no experience with the elaborate fix you show. But the explanation for that fix assumes that the problem is gas filling up into the vent channel inside the filler neck, down at the end inside the tank, which then blocks vapor from venting. That does not seem to be the problem that I have experienced, but I certainly don't know everything.

And I only have experience with some vapor recovery nozzles, so I really have no idea what would happen if the station doesn't have them.

Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
In case anybody is scratching his head .... When you pump gas into the tank, the air inside has to go somewhere, as it's being displaced by the gas. Otherwise back-pressure builds up against the pump and it shuts off. So the rate at which you can pump gas in, depends on how fast you can vent the air out ahead of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor