EFI Fuel Tank

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Seems much easier to pick the EFI system conversion of your choice, but when it comes to finding the correct tank to use, not so much... unless you are lucky enough to find a NOS OEM GN tank.

This seems to be the solution over the others that feature a low height dog dish or partial style baffeling that essentialy requires you to always keep at least 3/4 tank full or risk fuel starvation on hard runs.

Tanks Inc - https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/...t_id=503/category_id=136/mode=prod/prd503.htm

Reactions: 1 user

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
i used a stock 4.3 Monte Carlo baffled tank with regal sending unit with 2 walbro 450 pumps only modification i did to the tank is weld a 8AN fitting on the side for the return line in my LS Cutlass. i run the car down to 1/4 tank all the time absolutely no issues at all. you can use one 450 walbro pump and no need for a return line welded on the side as well. i finished it up with PTFE lines and now I'm set to use any fuel i want. wish i took pictures of it. what ever you do not use the clip on AN fittings!!! i had one come apart on me at the fuel rail almost burnt the car down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Unless you have a wagon it could be as simple as using a replacement tank especially for a car that was originally offered with FI ie monte carlo, elky, grand Prix and Bonneville's were all offered with a FI 4.3. Or a GN/ t type with 3.8 turbo. For a cutlass or mabey a malibu/ lemans you could use one of the previously mentioned tanks without a filler neck and have your original soldered onto it .

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Figured this would be an exellant replacement for being brand new and should be a good fit, you'll just have to buy the extra parts that goes along with it to make it functional.

Finding a used one thats in good shape and isnt rusty or corroded will be a challenge, no junk yard around here with pre '90 g-body vehicles around here to scavange an EFI fuel tank from, and if i have to go ebay, i might as well go brand new.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
everything is cheap brand new.

WAGOOON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2023
The Spectra “GN specific” tank is not too bad for the $. IMO it’s on par with an OEM tank.
On my cars I use fuel pressure sensors connected to the ECU with fuel pressure monitoring (fuel pressure safety). If fuel pressure drops below spec for only 0.1 seconds the ECU shuts off the ignition and the injectors until the pedal is released. When I get down around 1/2 tank it starts trigger the safety during a hard accel. If the tank is full the safety never triggers. This is with stock GN tanks and I see the same with our turbo 6 wagon. If $ were no issue I’d look into Rick’s Tanks. Those are really nice.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Seems much easier to pick the EFI system conversion of your choice, but when it comes to finding the correct tank to use, not so much... unless you are lucky enough to find a NOS OEM GN tank.

This seems to be the solution over the others that feature a low height dog dish or partial style baffeling that essentialy requires you to always keep at least 3/4 tank full or risk fuel starvation on hard runs.

Tanks Inc - https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/...t_id=503/category_id=136/mode=prod/prd503.htm
Im not sure where you are getting your information from but the Spectra GM307c has had the tall baffles that duplicate the factory plastic baffle for atleast 8 years now. The only ones that have the shallow "pie plate" are the cheap Chinese made clones.

Reactions: 1 user

WAGOOON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2023
This is the spectra gm307c “GN” tank being fitted with twin 525 Hellcat pumps. The baffle is visible in one pic.

39364B63-2469-4D94-9D9C-226FD3C6823A.jpeg

391DDF48-75D8-4C80-B170-694C9727DFC4.jpeg

AE9A0071-DADD-413D-BA60-4A89633F074D.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
What sender/pump combo is that?
Full throttle speed sells that as well as other pump and sender arrangements in a larger variety than Tanks Inc. offers.
You will find that a majority of the Turbo Buick guys run a set up from Full Throttle.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor