Status
Not open for further replies.

mhsmonte

Greasemonkey
Dec 4, 2008
Kentucky
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'm not trying to bash a company's product so I won't mention the brand but I used a fuel tank restore kit and I believe it may have ruined two electric fuel pumps of mine!!! I read the directions and disclaimer saying it was fine to use on baffeled tanks as long as you get the excess sealer out... I did this and double checked more than once. So after my second fuel pump went bad today I decided to take a thorough look at the tank and I discover flaking sealer... I believe this starved the pump and killed it! I'm going to buy a new tank for my set up and if the new pump survives I will know for sure this was the issue! ps the tank is half full of fuel or more so I know it wasn't low on gas! Here's a pic of the pump inlet with deposits on it too... Just posting so people with baffled tanks know the risk!
image.jpeg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
IMO, these tank miracle cures are a last resort for tanks that can't be bought new.

They (finally) repop Pinto/Mustang II tanks for pete's sake, surely a new G body tank is a no-brainer

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I'll be buying a new GN tank for my Regal when I get ready to change to fuel injection, whenever that ends up being.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I got the spectra gn tank. FIt's great but it kicks off during fueling like a lot people say. Gotta fill it slow. GM307C is the part number fir the tank. It's got a nice baffle.

I think there is a ball check valve in the bottom of the filler neck that floats up and blocks the main fuel pipe in case of a rollover. I think it also discourages siphoning.
DSCN6384.JPG

This is a Dodge pickup filler neck, but GM and Dodge shared some parts in the 80s.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
No the G-body tanks don't have a check ball. The issue with slow filling is the Spectra filler neck, it doesn't vent pressure fast enough for some "vapor recovery" pump nozzles. The problem is at the cap end, not down inside the tank. Original (GM) and Dorman necks do better.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
No the G-body tanks don't have a check ball. The issue with slow filling is the Spectra filler neck, it doesn't vent pressure fast enough for some "vapor recovery" pump nozzles. The problem is at the cap end, not down inside the tank. Original (GM) and Dorman necks do better.

Yes its the fille neck. Buy the Spectre tank without filler neck and put the GM one on it to fix the venting issue. There are some goofy write ups on other sites where guys modify the existing neck....don't waste your time.

mac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 25, 2016
swift current, canada
I put a spectre tank in mine and haven't had any issues filling mine, but the filler neck did sit a little further back in the hole making it harder to get the nozzle in, but a little bit of persuasion fixed that issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor