gas mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be able to use your crossmember - with modification of course. It is a matter of moving the mount pad either forward or back to line it up. You need a small piece of channel iron and a welder for that.

I think G-force makes one to use for a bolt in.

As far as V6 transmissions, they are weaker than V8 pieces. The V8 transmission uses 1 1/8" input shaft with 26 spline clutch disk. The V6 uses 1" input with 14 splines. You can use it, but it will not last as long as a V8 unit.

KrisW said:
You should be able to use your crossmember - with modification of course. It is a matter of moving the mount pad either forward or back to line it up. You need a small piece of channel iron and a welder for that.

I think G-force makes one to use for a bolt in.

As far as V6 transmissions, they are weaker than V8 pieces. The V8 transmission uses 1 1/8" input shaft with 26 spline clutch disk. The V6 uses 1" input with 14 splines. You can use it, but it will not last as long as a V8 unit.

okay cool, i wont bother with the v6 ones.

I need to get a new cross member anyway, or modify the stock one for my exhaust so I will figure something out surely.

the 2 best recommendations i can give you are either get an olds diesel and talk to krisw about needed mods or buy a vw diesel (any year, but the 97's are the best) and the 42+mpg will balance the 12 in your g-body.

My last VW Jetta (1997) got 53 mpg...

My diesel cutlass got 27 with the TH200 3 speed. After the 2004R got in I got better than 30 with it. I can certainly live with that!

I don't win many races, but hey, that's the compromise!

I had a 98 5 speed 1.6 liter Sentra that got 32 mpg city, and another automatic 95 Sentra that got 26 city/55 hwy. I would go for a 5 speed 1.6 liter Sentra or Civic and just drive the El Camino on your days off.

my maxima does fine with gas mileage and its soon to improve. I dont hardly ever drive the el camino, and this is a big reason for that. I see people use these cars as their daily driver, you cant tell me they are putting in 6+ gallons a day to get through their day.
I need to better calculate the gas mileage. i know the fast idle cam constantly stuck on doesnt help my case either.

there aren't any weight reduction options, in this car are there? I wonder how much weight I could lose with urethane bumpers and a fiberglass hood. I wish there was a way to lighten the doors. I am looking at these steel wheels from summit cause they only cost 40 bucks a piece but I feel bad adding that kind of rotational mass.

you anywhere near NY/connecticut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor