gas mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is real heavy try and lighten it up as much as possible. Take off things like air conditioning and what ever you can truly live without. Make sure it is in the best tune possible. Short of that buy a smaller car.

i don't know how much of a change it will make but, find your best tune and then lean it out a bit. this will make it run hotter. you may be able to offset it with a colder range plug if the plugs are getting too hot.

The only way to significantly cut weight would be to make it look like something off of Mad Max. It's a big car and making it light will make it uncomfortable.

haha. no i'm located in texas.

Maybe I need to get an 02 sensor with a gauge so i can get a reading out of my exhaust because I cant tune this damn carb with the vacuum gauge...it just doesnt change with the turning of the screws.

yeah i guess there is nowhere to reduce weight from in this car. In my maxima, performance suspension, lighter body panels, newer lighter motor, 5 speed all that reduced weight.

at least i got rid of that intake manifold eh? haha...that was a monster.

i know im rambling. dont worry...i still have hope. I'm gonna do some things and come back with some kick *ss results. im determined!

and no i dont want to remove the a/c 🙁 even though i hardly use it.

I'd like to suggest something else, as well. What year is your elky? You know there are guys here who have tuned computer quadrajets with decent results. I believe 85 brougham has, and there are lots of guys over on thirdgen.org who have.

All you need is a computer quad, ECM and harness from a 305 to start with and a big cap HEI. You can remove the vacuum advance and run the 7 pin module that allows the computer to run the advance. You can tune it by burning chips with your computer, and it won't cost lots of money. The chips are less than 5 bucks each and it will cost a couple of hundred bucks for the tunerpro stuff to burn chips yourself. It could be a lot of fun and really help you with tuning. It also provides a lock up torque converter circuit. By adding a transmission with a lockup converter you'll get a solid 1 mpg increase. Add tuning to your carb and ignition and I'll bet you'll be happy. You should be able to get all the parts you need for nearly nothing used.

Just something to consider if you are really determined...

KrisW said:
I'd like to suggest something else, as well. What year is your elky? You know there are guys here who have tuned computer quadrajets with decent results. I believe 85 brougham has, and there are lots of guys over on thirdgen.org who have.

All you need is a computer quad, ECM and harness from a 305 to start with and a big cap HEI. You can remove the vacuum advance and run the 7 pin module that allows the computer to run the advance. You can tune it by burning chips with your computer, and it won't cost lots of money. The chips are less than 5 bucks each and it will cost a couple of hundred bucks for the tunerpro stuff to burn chips yourself. It could be a lot of fun and really help you with tuning. It also provides a lock up torque converter circuit. By adding a transmission with a lockup converter you'll get a solid 1 mpg increase. Add tuning to your carb and ignition and I'll bet you'll be happy. You should be able to get all the parts you need for nearly nothing used.

Just something to consider if you are really determined...

hmm i dont know if i want to go through all that trouble. I actually just tore out the emissions stuff and the ECM with the harness. it was all dirty, beat up and the harnesses went to nothing. was trying to clean up the engine bay..and it did. I dont trust the consistency of how the car runs enough to start altering it with electronics. I think it'd help if my fast idle cam wasnt always making the car idle high.

one of the reasons why you can't change the tune is the fast idle cam. you have to be at regular idle for the idle screw to change anything noticeably.

i can manually take the fast idle cam "off" and itll idle perfect...but otherwise it always seems to stick on the fast idle cam. i cant get out at the stop lights and put it back everytime obviously...whats up with that?

Don't you have a vacuum dash pot to pull that linkage piece up on the fast idle cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor