gas mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't buy them for mileage. They're not a bad price, though, so if you buy them you're not losing money.

ditto hey it's $25, if it's a pice of crap you can probably offload to someone else. if not you're out the equivalent of 2 gals of gas.

i was just wondering if they were any good for performance. I wasnt planning on upgrading my distributor unless i found a killer deal.
I dont think my balancer is off either.
I just went out there and turned the choke counter clockwise like 3 marks back from the center point. and i backed off the fast idle screw so now it cant idle fast if it wanted to. I dont see where that comes in handy...the fast idle cam? whats that for?

the transmission doesnt seem to be leaking anymore either so...awesome. I need to cut my cross member now to continue my exhaust project..mufflers under the cabin is a no-no.

The fast idle cam allows the engine to warm up faster. After it's warmed up, your engine should fall down to the normal idle circuit.

It comes on before you start the car (you're assumed to pump the carb once before starting) after you pump it. Then it won't be allowed to fall until the choke opens and allows the latch to open that holds the fast idle cam step up.

If your engine isn't warmed up and it's cold outside, your engine might stumble until it's warm.

KrisW said:
The fast idle cam allows the engine to warm up faster. After it's warmed up, your engine should fall down to the normal idle circuit.

It comes on before you start the car (you're assumed to pump the carb once before starting) after you pump it. Then it won't be allowed to fall until the choke opens and allows the latch to open that holds the fast idle cam step up.

If your engine isn't warmed up and it's cold outside, your engine might stumble until it's warm.

ahhhh. okay. makes sense...its hardly cold down here in Houston....I don't mind losing that little feature personally.
thanks

it may improve performance a little, mostly from a better advance curve. however they have found that if you have a strong enough spark that it is not blown out, then haveing more energy won't accomplish anything. look at it this way, if a match can ignite a room filled with gas and air do you need a blowtorch?

megaladon6 said:
it may improve performance a little, mostly from a better advance curve. however they have found that if you have a strong enough spark that it is not blown out, then haveing more energy won't accomplish anything. look at it this way, if a match can ignite a room filled with gas and air do you need a blowtorch?

i hear you.
but it wont hurt anything, right?

assuming that it's functioning properly, then no. i would check the gear and the weights and springs, yada yada yada... when you drop it in, make sure that it's the only change you make. this way if the car won't run or runs badly (and adjusting the timing doesn't correct it) this way you know what's causing the problem.

megaladon6 said:
assuming that it's functioning properly, then no. i would check the gear and the weights and springs, yada yada yada... when you drop it in, make sure that it's the only change you make. this way if the car won't run or runs badly (and adjusting the timing doesn't correct it) this way you know what's causing the problem.
gotcha
just remembered i need to get an alternator first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor