Gbody LS Swap Info

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
I'm in the early stages of 5.3/6L80e swap. How do I make the shifter work? I wanted to get a nicer holley aftermarket shifter but none of them seem to be explicitly 6 speed

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I'm in the early stages of 5.3/6L80e swap. How do I make the shifter work? I wanted to get a nicer holley aftermarket shifter but none of them seem to be explicitly 6 speed
I would love to do a 6speed auto.

Since I'm using a 4-speed with a 3-speed detent rooster comb (column shifter), I rely on 'feel' of the transmission detents other than PRNO (feel to put in D, L, 1).

I think you could get a floor shifter for a 4-speed auto, align the gates with the transmission detents for PRNOD, and forget about the lower gears, unless you can over-travel the floor shifter to get L,2 and 1.

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
I would love to do a 6speed auto.

Since I'm using a 4-speed with a 3-speed detent rooster comb (column shifter), I rely on 'feel' of the transmission detents other than PRNO (feel to put in D, L, 1).

I think you could get a floor shifter for a 4-speed auto, align the gates with the transmission detents for PRNOD, and forget about the lower gears, unless you can over-travel the floor shifter to get L,2 and 1.
1713648332319.png

I was thinking of using one of these, most likely the camaro/firebird kit so I can use the better looking console too. These shifters have a ratchet function so I'm not sure if that would affect anything

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’m not a 6L80 officiado so ……. If you were using a normal 2,3 or 4 speed, then be aware that the shifters made for them move the cable the appropriate amount to move the shift lever to the correct position. I think it will take a fair amount of engineering to get a 4 speed shifter to work with a 6 speed. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it will be difficult.

Personally, I wouldn’t consider a 6 speed for a hot street car considering a 4 speed with with a lockup converter is basically a 5 speed. And the ultra low 1st gear just isn’t needed in a car. My $.02, but I understand why people use them as well.

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
I’m not a 6L80 officiado so ……. If you were using a normal 2,3 or 4 speed, then be aware that the shifters made for them move the cable the appropriate amount to move the shift lever to the correct position. I think it will take a fair amount of engineering to get a 4 speed shifter to work with a 6 speed. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it will be difficult.

Personally, I wouldn’t consider a 6 speed for a hot street car considering a 4 speed with with a lockup converter is basically a 5 speed. And the ultra low 1st gear just isn’t needed in a car. My $.02, but I understand why people use them as well.
Gotcha. I figured I’d have an issue with this but fortunately I have a friend who went to a mechanic school for college so hopefully he can help.
I’m pretty sure every 6l80 worked with a column shifter :/

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor