MONTE CARLO GEAR RATIOS... Huh?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a TH400 kickdown set up wasn't installed, the car will drive like @ss just driving around and feel like its trying to pull a 2.00:1 rear axle from drive if you stomp on it at any speed below about 65 mph. It won't win any races from a 30 mph roll.

Technically speaking, TH350 is just a kickdown cable. And yeah. Th400s with no switched hooked up are no fun.

• Agree
Reactions: Rob-Legacy1
"Blew a header gasket from too much rpm"
"picked up 100hp"
How out of tune could it have been to pick up 100hp?!?!:wtf:

Yeah, I wasnt too sure if he wasnt giving me all the details or he doesnt know what he is talking about. I dont know a lot about cars but common sense tells me getting 100 HP from a tune up... My guess is he is a guy who pays for all the work to be done and has never really turned a wrench...

You need to dig deeper. Any paperwork or receipts? What was done to the 350? What compression ratio? What cam? What intake? What carb? There's nothing worse than a "hot rodded" motor that can't get out of it's own way because everything is mis-matched. What was done to the transmission? Basic rebuild- or race-ready shift kit? Pictures would help too.

• Agree
Reactions: fleming442
If the rear end isn't making any noises I would leave it alone for now while you get the other issues figured out...

• Agree
Reactions: mr evil
If you want to do it to say you did it then go for it. But for the tools you need for that job to set up the rear and to crush the sleeve and the amount of time to learn how to do it isn't really worth it unless you plan to do a few of them.

Exactly. I hate doing jobs like this because

1) When you're done you'll be an expert and never need to be again.

2) When you're done you'll realize if you knew before you started what you know now you'll wish you could start over because you would do a better job.

The previous owner isnt getting me the info I need. I dont want to take the car to a shop. So I need to figure this out myself. How can I find out what kind of transmission is in the car? I need to be able to find out what kind of kickdown cable/mechanism I have so I can repair or replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor