MONTE CARLO GEAR RATIOS... Huh?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
As long as it's up in the air check the axle tube for the code. It will be on the passenger side tube facing forward. Wire brush the area and look for a 2 or 3 letter/digit code. That will identify what it was originally. It may or may not be what's in there now but since it is not a posi then it just may still be original.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
A properly rebuilt th200-4r is actually a nice thing to have. The th200-4r is a 4 speed / overdrive trans which would allow you to run numerically higher gears and not be running at crazy RPMs on the highway. Now that we know the trans isn't what the previous owner said it was (not all bad), it's time to check casting numbers on the engine to see if it is truly a 350, or a hopped up 305.

Where would I find those numbers on the engine?

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
As long as it's up in the air check the axle tube for the code. It will be on the passenger side tube facing forward. Wire brush the area and look for a 2 or 3 letter/digit code. That will identify what it was originally. It may or may not be what's in there now but since it is not a posi then it just may still be original.

I will check that and report my findings.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This is a Monte Carlo SS? It probably had a 305, 2004R, and perhaps a 3:73 non-posi rear originally.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
1987 MC SS. I bet you are right... Do you have any ideas how I can get more out of this setup? Would chaging the rear end help get more power?

If the car has a 3.73 in it then you probably don't want to go to a lower gear. Changing the gear will not increase power output of the engine. Going to a lower (numerically higher) rear gear will give the engine mechanical advantage and will improve acceleration but you don't want to go much steeper than 3.73 for the street.

If you don't want to change the engine or transmission and you are unhappy with the performance of the car, then you need to optimize what you have so you can maximize the performance you get out of it. We can help but you have to be able to tell us in detail what you have. We need to know:
  • What engine is it? 305 or 350? - casting numbers on the block will help identify it
  • What heads are on it? - casting numbers will help again, assuming they are production heads. Are they iron or aluminum?
  • What type of carburetor is on it? Quadrajet? Holley? Edelbrock?
  • What type of exhaust system is on it? Stock? Duals? Headers?
  • What type of ignition system does it have? Stock HEI?
  • What type of work, if any was done to the transmission? Shift kit? Torque converter with higher stall speed?
  • What is the rear gear in the car right now? Is it a 3.73?
  • What do you want from the car? How will you use the car? Street only?
This information would get us a good start on identifying what you have.

If you can't tell us, in detail, what you have, then it is impossible for us to make a good recommendation on how to make the car better. I saw in the thread above you asking for where to find the casting numbers on the engine. Don't be afraid to do your own research. A simple Google Search "Small Block Chevy Identification" quickly gives you the picture below. I'm not trying to come off the wrong way here. We like to help members here but many will not respond to your posts if they feel like you are not willing to do some of the work yourself and just want someone else to give you all the answers. Another good Google search that will likely help you is "Small Block Chevy Head Identification".

There are some very knowledgeable folks on here that can make these cars run very fast. I encourage you to answer the questions above the best you can. If you do, I'm sure you will get some very good advice.

Pictures will help a lot as well. Give us some good pictures of under the hood and under the car. I see you posted a pic of the transmission earlier in the thread so it looks like posting them is not a problem. Hope this helps.

Jared
Chev_block_codes.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
If the car has a 3.73 in it then you probably don't want to go to a lower gear. Changing the gear will not increase power output of the engine. Going to a lower (numerically higher) rear gear will give the engine mechanical advantage and will improve acceleration but you don't want to go much steeper than 3.73 for the street.

If you don't want to change the engine or transmission and you are unhappy with the performance of the car, then you need to optimize what you have so you can maximize the performance you get out of it. We can help but you have to be able to tell us in detail what you have. We need to know:
  • What engine is it? 305 or 350? - casting numbers on the block will help identify it
  • What heads are on it? - casting numbers will help again, assuming they are production heads. Are they iron or aluminum?
  • What type of carburetor is on it? Quadrajet? Holley? Edelbrock?
  • What type of exhaust system is on it? Stock? Duals? Headers?
  • What type of ignition system does it have? Stock HEI?
  • What type of work, if any was done to the transmission? Shift kit? Torque converter with higher stall speed?
  • What is the rear gear in the car right now? Is it a 3.73?
  • What do you want from the car? How will you use the car? Street only?
This information would get us a good start on identifying what you have.

If you can't tell us, in detail, what you have, then it is impossible for us to make a good recommendation on how to make the car better. I saw in the thread above you asking for where to find the casting numbers on the engine. Don't be afraid to do your own research. A simple Google Search "Small Block Chevy Identification" quickly gives you the picture below. I'm not trying to come off the wrong way here. We like to help members here but many will not respond to your posts if they feel like you are not willing to do some of the work yourself and just want someone else to give you all the answers. Another good Google search that will likely help you is "Small Block Chevy Head Identification".

There are some very knowledgeable folks on here that can make these cars run very fast. I encourage you to answer the questions above the best you can. If you do, I'm sure you will get some very good advice.

Pictures will help a lot as well. Give us some good pictures of under the hood and under the car. I see you posted a pic of the transmission earlier in the thread so it looks like posting them is not a problem. Hope this helps.

Jared
View attachment 87852

Texas82GP, I am planning on doing as much work myself as possible. I am not afraid to turn a wrench and get greasy. All help and direction will be appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor