Getting OCD with fuel line, go AN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Here's another question to bring up & it deals with Earl's PTFE hoses. Per one of their videos on their site the recommend using carbon lined hoses for fuel lines to eliminate static charge on the line (better/safer grounding.) As I'm putting my shopping list together (between Earl's, Summit's & Jegs own product lines) I am making sure I get the best of what I need for what I'll be spending on a simple pump/carb line & see who went with what Earl's suggested. So would it be worth while for the Earl's carbon lined braided hose or not?
That's some kind of snake oil marketing nonsense!!! Not saying it isn't true, but myself and many others here have been running regular ole braided lines for years with no issues.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have only ever used steel braided hoses with synthetic rubber lining usually Earls or Russel on my fuel, oil and trans lines and have never had an issue with many years of use.
My 10 AN fuel line has been on my Monte for 20 years running race gas and pump gas and different mixes and a couple years ago I changed my Earls hose end to a different one because it had faded over the years and I had to cut the line to install it and the hose still looked like new on the inside. and I also use a AN end plugs on all my lines if I disconnect them.
My car is not a daily driver and spends the winters in a heated garage which may help the longevity of my hoses but I have yet to feel a need to use a Teflon lined hose.
The only hoses I have personally seen people have issues with were no name brands that just use a plain rubber lining that gets hard and loses it's flexibility.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I have used a variety of AN fittings with braided like and hard line to get the result I wanted.You just have to take your time.

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 149
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 150
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think the only hose ends you have to be careful matching up are a cutter style like Earls swivel seal that need a certain thickness of the inner hose to seal correctly since it cuts into it. Tapered style ends should work with most brand hoses of the same AN regardless of actual dimensions.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Here's another question to bring up & it deals with Earl's PTFE hoses. Per one of their videos on their site the recommend using carbon lined hoses for fuel lines to eliminate static charge on the line (better/safer grounding.) As I'm putting my shopping list together (between Earl's, Summit's & Jegs own product lines) I am making sure I get the best of what I need for what I'll be spending on a simple pump/carb line & see who went with what Earl's suggested. So would it be worth while for the Earl's carbon lined braided hose or not?

interesting..... :unsure:

• Informative

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
OK I hit the local mom & pop hardware store to get some aluminum hard line that I was surprised they had (& way cheaper than the copper-nickle I have) to work in with the AN stuff. One thing I'm thinking on doing is maybe minor "adjustment" bends in the hard line with major bends in AN bends. It'll still be cleaner than what I was trying to bend myself. Then I also came across NOS has PTFE pre-made hoses as short as a foot (should be the same PTFE hose as Earl's?) So there are more options to look at for this "over engineered" project. All in the name of a nice clean finshed line & OCD I will have this done. But I'm thinking I should look into meds too.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor