GM Buys Out Half of All Buick Dealers

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You guys forget one thing. Maintenance. Or the lack of. Once the masses figure out there are no oil changes, filter changes, grease jobs, evap codes, emissions testing, fluctuating gas prices, they will be ecstatic. Just plug it in, and carry on. Works for me. We do our own oil changes and brake jobs, but as stated, we are weird. I am already seeing tons of Teslas here in Shitty City. Many more than Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers combined. Remember, the masses dictate the marketplace. Eventually we will be an interesting collection of relics that gather for shows and little else. I will go down burning rubber, and I won't be alone. But it will happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the speed and torque that electric cars are capable of. The Tesla model S Plaid is the third fastest production car in the world (there are two hypercars that are barely faster) with an 8.77 second 1/4 mile at 162 mph.

I wouldn't mind driving that. Beyond that... meh. The self-driving features and manufacturer control and monitoring are my biggest hesitation with EVs.

Reactions: 2 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Too soon to start a pool on which month they ask for a bailout?
Any bailout should be dependent on them bringing Pontiac back.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
When your only performance upgrade consists of replacing the resistor pack with something that makes the motor spin faster, then you're done with upgrades, that's not at the heart of hot rodding. And will garner absolutely ZERO respect from me.

But maybe THEN if someone swaps an LS engine in say, a Tesla, that will be the only time I'll give that a thumbs up. JMO, but to me, electric motors belong in appliances. I'm not against EVs or progress into the future, but stepping on the necks of manufacturers to basically force them to make different propulsion as they regulate ICE out of existence doesen't convince me that now is a great time to do everything all at once. Turns out the people are starting to turn away from the EV, even the ones that sell them. That's never a great sign.

The ONLY people I'll consider taking EV advice from are ones that only own ONE car. And that would have to be a BEV. No hybrid, no "spare" car, nothing else. Ok, maybe a bicycle or something. That tells me they're committed to making the changeover work from Day 1. Because most all the people that are EV proponents are rich enough to own two or more cars, and then virtue signal about being green, without knowing anything about going green. I say they can stuff it all up their azz. "Here, you need to accept all this new technology without question, and drop what you've been doing as a hobby you love for the last 45+ years. Don't worry, you won't need your toolbox or Jeg's or Summit. Maybe Mouser Electronics, etc...." No sir, it's not going to be that simple.

I got ICE in my veins...and I'm happy about it.
ahhhh, but what if you could improve on your EV with a MrFusion and ......

200w.gif

would that be hotrodding? or since it's electric "hotsparking"? :unsure:

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
You guys forget one thing. Maintenance. Or the lack of. Once the masses figure out there are no oil changes, filter changes, grease jobs, evap codes, emissions testing, fluctuating gas prices, they will be ecstatic. Just plug it in, and carry on. Works for me. We do our own oil changes and brake jobs, but as stated, we are weird. I am already seeing tons of Teslas here in Shitty City. Many more than Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers combined. Remember, the masses dictate the marketplace. Eventually we will be an interesting collection of relics that gather for shows and little else. I will go down burning rubber, and I won't be alone. But it will happen.
you can't burn rubber in an EV? I've got a 67 Impala convertible. can you imagine converting it to 4wd drive EV? imagine a 10sec quartermile in full dress Impala..... 😁

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
They will be less ecstatic as the electric grid starts crapping out.

The NERC 2023 reliability assessment did NOT have good things to say about the effects of the poorly thought out and rushed forced mandate to cram EVs and changes to electric heat, cooking, yard tools, etc etc etc. If anything, you want to ADD coal and wood burning capability to your home now, and, a reliable ICE or two to your garage so when things fail, as the watchdogs now admit is coming, you're not impacted.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'll leave this here:

Screenshot_20231225_192605_Chrome.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
They will be less ecstatic as the electric grid starts crapping out.

The NERC 2023 reliability assessment did NOT have good things to say about the effects of the poorly thought out and rushed forced mandate to cram EVs and changes to electric heat, cooking, yard tools, etc etc etc. If anything, you want to ADD coal and wood burning capability to your home now, and, a reliable ICE or two to your garage so when things fail, as the watchdogs now admit is coming, you're not impacted.

And that's where folks want to implement "smart" usage, so the cars charge at night when demand is down (good luck if you're a midshift kinda guy). And the battery backup feeds everyone else's house on the grid during peak hours for those that have it. And those that don't will still benefit from it. Meanwhile the folks who purchased those battery backup systems may not have them available for when the power does konk out, which I assume is a big part of their decision to buy the thing in the first place. And I wouldn't doubt if they're going to start throttling people's usage too going forward, whether you contribute to the grid or not. Just like how when they said no masks if you get the jab, then they back pedalled and said everyone has to mask up regardless.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Watching this asinine level of mismanagement is making my blood pressure go up and my eye twitch. Buick has been a soulless shell of its former self for well over a decade, but at this point I think GM is intentionally trying to run the brand into the ground to give themselves an excuse to drop it entirely in North America and simplify their portfolio.

isn't the entire distribution of the auto industry going direct to consumer, i'm thinkin with tesla's direct sales & (scuse me LMFAO) car vending machines?

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Maybe Mouser Electronics, etc....
Funny you mention Mouser. I found genuine Packard ring terminals at Mouser, the big 3/4" flat kind. They call the brand something else now. (Aptiv?) But same outfit, and I literally could not find them anywhere else. Mouser had them by the spool.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor