Grand National El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.
The el-Camino grand national looks awsome. I say do I would love to see it once your done. I happen to like the looks of the el-Camino myself.

Mechanic58 a rust free el-Camino from that year for a grand wow. You could but it and flip it as is for more then 2 grand. Just cause its rustfree.

I myself think the Camino was a great idea and I love the looks of em. Really look forward to seeing the progress of this one.

“.......I was wondering wat all it would involve to do this other than the front clip and doors "to make the body line match" any help or ideas are greatly appreciated........”

It’s kind of hard to say without actually having the 2 cars side by side to do some measuring on. The body lines might line up, but from the looks of it the lines on the El Camino might need to be moved up.

I did a Monte Carlo clip on my El Camino and the lines needed to be moved down (and one eliminated). The procedure is about the same, cut the area with the original body line out and weld in a new donor panel with the correct line. There are probably going to be 3 areas that will need work (the same ones that were on mine.

Bodylinechanges.jpg

On mine the front frame rails needed to be extended 3”. but I think the Early Monte is the only front clip this needs to be done with.

There are also a couple of minor mods that need to be made to the window rub blocks on the door, but that’s fairly easy.

One more thing, the chrome rear bumper will probably look out of place with the front end, Lauren makes some nice roll pans/tucked bumpers that you might want to check into.

Here is the link to the body work portion on my El Camino project that should give you an idea about what you’re getting into.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=25429

Yeah, let’s all bow down to king troll mechanic58 who has the answer to everything. God what would we do without his superior knowledge on everything. We should all build cars just like his as he truly knows everything. :mrgreen:

If you dont like the elcamino Mechanic58 then why even post in the EL CAMINO section. I owned a regal as well loved the car would love to have another but i want an el camino project that is different. I appreciate all the comments that are helpful though thanks guys. As far as the motor goes i plan on going forged guts and about 9to1 compression probly a set of afr heads and blow thru carb on e 85. I do plan on intercooling it and running about 14# of boost on the street. as far as the trans I was thinking 4l80 they are easy to come by plus will hold the power.

I never claimed it was my idea i said id only seen one other like it before. I just think its cool as hell

Hey Mechanic58..... :shock:
How can you slam the beloved El Camino?, true it may be the hermaphrodite of automobiles, but not all of us Elky owners have weird uncles or still wear mullets. Yes..I have a selection of wife beater t-shirts and my interpritaion of fine art is the morning sunlight glistening off the old rusty household appliances planted in my front yard, yet this alone does not qualify one to own a El Camino. And whats so wrong with the El Camino? Brought our first baby home from the hospital and still had room for 3 albino pigmy goats in the front seat. The bed was full of old musty telephone books that we still hope will make a killing on the scrap market someday (potential college fund for the newborn) For some reason poeple seem to think us El Camino owners are unclean..I'm proud of my hygiene..heck just this morning I brushed my tooth (singular, as in one). What next? Soon I bet the kazzo will no longer be taken seriuosly as a musical instument.
p.s. Mines for sale...I'll even clean the goat hair off the seats and take the bag of dirty diapers out of the back.
emyelky005.jpg

Dude dont listen to mechanic58 hes obviously just another idiot behind a computer. Build it however you want. Personally I think the idea of an Elco with a Regal or GN front end is pretty badass so please post pics along the way 😀

Wile E said:
Hey Mechanic58..... :shock:
How can you slam the beloved El Camino?, true it may be the hermaphrodite of automobiles, but not all of us Elky owners have weird uncles or still wear mullets. Yes..I have a selection of wife beater t-shirts and my interpritaion of fine art is the morning sunlight glistening off the old rusty household appliances planted in my front yard, yet this alone does not qualify one to own a El Camino. And whats so wrong with the El Camino? Brought our first baby home from the hospital and still had room for 3 albino pigmy goats in the front seat. The bed was full of old musty telephone books that we still hope will make a killing on the scrap market someday (potential college fund for the newborn) For some reason poeple seem to think us El Camino owners are unclean..I'm proud of my hygiene..heck just this morning I brushed my tooth (singular, as in one). What next? Soon I bet the kazzo will no longer be taken seriuosly as a musical instument.
p.s. Mines for sale...I'll even clean the goat hair off the seats and take the bag of dirty diapers out of the back.
emyelky005.jpg

X2 I too am the very proud owner of a "Mullet" with wheels, for 30 years now. 😛

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,837
I,ve had more than my fair share of insults from people on internet sites About my something different . Apparently mechanic 58 never saw any of the threads others put up on my ride-Apparently he hasn't visited this section enough to see it or he'd have been a busy typer. :wtf: Never let a dumbass get to you. :shock:
People tend to make far fewer harsh comments in person on my customized mess. Maybe it's because of the 4' long sword blades on the side????? :rofl:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33171

Back on subject here, any body conversion such as the gn front to el camino will take a serious amount of dedication, but the end result can be worth it if you're like me & want something different. On another site where someone posted my 2010 camaro nose conversion,there ended up being a discussion about that 1st gn/elcamino conversion. Seems a lot of people like the look, so go for it if you're skills & time are up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor