Gray Man, Inc.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm probably better off. I was looking at a '59 Dorsett Catalina. They're a dorky little mini cabin cruiser that seem to have a bit of a cult following. I neglected to screenshot the ad before it sold but it looked like this except red and white.
Screenshot_20220906-060628_DuckDuckGo.jpg

It was definitely a project but was all there. Powered by an 80s vintage Suzuki 50hp and on a tandem axle trailer. It basically needed all the cosmetic stuff addressed.
The cabin area would probably be tight sleeping 2 but overnights are possible. The Dorsett San Juan looks about the same but is 2 feet longer and has a small galley and provision to stash a portable toilet in the vee.
Like I said, they seem to have a bit of a following and prices vary greatly but nicer examples hang in the teens and twentys. Seller was asking $750 so it would have been tough to get hurt. Still, boats are not a great way to "invest" money.

On to the next distraction.

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm probably better off. I was looking at a '59 Dorsett Catalina. They're a dorky little mini cabin cruiser that seem to have a bit of a cult following. I neglected to screenshot the ad before it sold but it looked like this except red and white. View attachment 206346

It was definitely a project but was all there. Powered by an 80s vintage Suzuki 50hp and on a tandem axle trailer. It basically needed all the cosmetic stuff addressed.
The cabin area would probably be tight sleeping 2 but overnights are possible. The Dorsett San Juan looks about the same but is 2 feet longer and has a small galley and provision to stash a portable toilet in the vee.
Like I said, they seem to have a bit of a following and prices vary greatly but nicer examples hang in the teens and twentys. Seller was asking $750 so it would have been tough to get hurt. Still, boats are not a great way to "invest" money.

The Elky would look good pulling that one if it was the one you were looking at.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm probably better off. I was looking at a '59 Dorsett Catalina. They're a dorky little mini cabin cruiser that seem to have a bit of a cult following. I neglected to screenshot the ad before it sold but it looked like this except red and white. View attachment 206346

I like it.

A 1964 MFG Sea Cruiser came up locally with trailer and twin Johnson outboards. Asked into it, but, they've got no paperwork on anything and it's a bit of a hassle as the state requires proof of ownership, so, probably letting it pass.

Needs going through and cosmetics on interior, but, also $2000.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Been running hard with work over the last couple months Supervibe took me 6750 miles in the last 3 weeks. I didn't add up the previous, but it's a lot. I suspect that my company brought on someone new in the Seattle area around the beginning of summer and they didn't work out. I'm typically over there every week or two but had absolutely nothing for 3 months. Now I'm getting a lot of work over there again. The guy in eastern Montana is out on medical hold and the guy in Wilsonville, OR just retired. My territory just got a lot bigger for awhile.

Since I haven't had time at home to do much work, I've just been buying stuff to finish projects. I have all the new rubber and chrome to put my pickup together if I ever get the cab back from my brother. Only thing I can't get right now is a radiator cap, which is the back half of the hood ornament. My original one has nice shiny chrome but some scratches.

I picked up a couple more small items for my 225/6spd TW build. It's about ready for cleaning parts and beginning assembly.

180K service in a box for my wife's car. Probably due by the end of the year.

The mini flathead was looking neglected so last night I ordered up a carb kit and some ignition parts so I can try to hear it run. I found a later distributor with magnetic pickup and a cam drive adapter that I'm going to pair with a 70s Mopar ignition module and high output GM coil. In theory it should all work together but we'll see. Found out a Ford 8N tractor starter works on these so I have one coming. I'll probably weld up a little run stand for it eventually.

Another pile of parts for the Chief. Rocker box O-rings are seeping so I justified an EV27 cam upgrade. Also finally got ahold of a 6spd. They've been impossible to find for over a year unless you want to pay ridiculous markup.

Last weekend I tried to finish cutting up those bigass cottonwoods that got dropped in the spring. I'd forgotten how stretched my chain was and had to quit. I have a new chain in hand now so I can finish up. I have about 20 more 20"+ rounds to cut. My neighbor offered the use of his splitter so I'll have a couple more round woodpiles when I'm done.

I know I'll probably complain if it happens, but I'd love for work to slow down for the next few months. I have plenty of shop projects for the winter. I'm also biting off a cabin / tiny house build pretty soon. Completion target for that project is 5/23.

Reactions: 8 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
V8-60 parts are mostly delivered. Just waiting on a carb kit.

This whole idea is stupid.

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I've seen SBC engines mounted into a customized motorcycle frame.... is there any good reason you shouldn't stuff an orphan flathead Ford into one?

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I see what looks like a wee 2bbl intake, some sort of in/outlet on the heads, and 2 pipes with holes in them? Having trouble deciding what's the exhaust and what's the purpose of what's not.
I think the "pipes" you see on top are just spark plug wire looms. Those will be going away. It does have a dinky 2bbl intake and the standard 3 port flathead exhaust manifolds that bolt to the block just below the heads.
20210816_140851.jpg

I sourced a'41-46 distributor with a magnetic pickup and an adapter plate. The Mopar ignition module should read the pickup and fire the GM distributor. I hope. These are a somewhat rare and oddball engine so I'm kinda making it up as I go.

Reactions: 4 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I think the "pipes" you see on top are just spark plug wire looms. Those will be going away. It does have a dinky 2bbl intake and the standard 3 port flathead exhaust manifolds that bolt to the block just below the heads. View attachment 209355

I sourced a'41-46 distributor with a magnetic pickup and an adapter plate. The Mopar ignition module should read the pickup and fire the GM distributor. I hope. These are a somewhat rare and oddball engine so I'm kinda making it up as I go.

Only thing I'm not clear on is what those pipe looking things are sticking straight up out of the heads. Or are those for coolant?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor