HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Started bending a new metal fuel line to go to the Holley 600. Having issues with the stock air cleaner clearing the fuel inlet. I want a flare fitting on both ends like stock. I'm installing a canister style filter near the gas tank. I had a lot of stock and aftermarket air cleaners here and found a stock diameter lid but its a lot shorter. I even had a new air filter that fit. I need to mock up the front clip so I can check air cleaner clearance. I've got a new GM flex hose in the box but don't remember what it fits so I'm going to use it. I'll post pics tomorrow.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Here's the custom air cleaner assembly idea in progress. I cut off the snout leaving enough for the GM flex hose to connect to. I removed the baffle so the air hits the filter better. Gonna weld up the crankcase vent hose openings but move the one that connects to the valve cover to the left side. I will put on the 2 repop air cleaner decals to give it that stock appearance. After measuring the paper filter that fits with the lower profile lid, I found a K&N at Summit with the same dimensions. The inlet duct is a piece I found at Lowes. I will try to find a spot to mount it. I'm sure I'll be cutting most of its surround away but going to wait till the front clip is on with inner fender, battery, and AC hoses. I'll have to get a short piece of 3.5" pipe to weld onto the duct so the flex hose will attach. I think it might clear the hood. I was getting ready to cut the stud for the wing nut but I can't find the one I bought. I'll go buy another one and then I'll find the old one :mrgreen:

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Have not posted in a few days. It took two attempts to bend up a steel fuel line. The first one I kinked so went and bought two more. Got it bent and mocked up and then found out my AC compressors upper brace that goes to the intake was going to hit the new fuel line. I made some slices with a cut off wheel in the brace but did not go all the way through. This allowed me to bend the brace around the fuel line. I'll weld up the slices and finish grind them. The Holley 600's fuel inlet is on the drivers side. I could only find one fitting that would work to allow me to use a steel 3/8 fuel line but it is a 45 degree. I went through a big tote full of Holley and Q-Jets and found an older 600 Holley that had the secondary jet plate and the longer aluminum tube. I removed the jet plate and have it soaking in Berrymans. Now I'll be able to fine tune my secondaries with my jet pack instead of changing the more expensive aluminum plates. I fabbed up a throttle linkage bracket too. Was gonna work on it yesterday but decided to go riding motorcycles with my buddy. We were not 2 minutes into the ride when he pulled a wheelie on his 1000 GSXR and missed a 90 degree turn. He hit a house and I had to take him to the ER. He totaled his bike and broke his shoulder. Heavy price to pay for riding silly. He went about 15-20 feet in the air and spun 2 or 3 times before landing on his shoulder. He went between the house and car port but the bike hit the corner of the house. I keep both mine on the ground and ride like an old man. Heck, I even got the traction control on level 3 :mrgreen:

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Dang the bad luck! I just went through my collection of Cutlass bucket seat chrome side pieces. Some of them the chrome has wrinkled up on. Some are really scratched and scuffed. I have 3 good uppers and two good lowers. I think I have a full set of Cutlass buckets at my old house that's almost an hour drive away. Gonna go there tomorrow and check. I just looked on ebay and about fell out of my chair. I had no idea that they sold for that kind of money. If I had a console, the inner lowers could be used since they're a bit covered by the console. I'm wondering if the sign shop can wrap them in chrome vinyl

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Went to my old house and went through my shed. Had a pair of Cutlass buckets. Found a 4.3 air cleaner. The lid is a bit lower and more G-body specific. Found a defroster duct assembly with no broken mounting tabs. All in it was a good score. I have not been in that shed for probably 6 years. I started on mocking up the front end so I could get started on the front bumper. I shortened the impact shocks in the frame horns one inch. I had this front bumper from a 4 door Cutlass. I like the lower mid section under the grills. Opens up a bit more air flow. I used the aluminum bumper support from my original front bumper so it would be lighter. My original bumper is a two piece and I'm wanting a smooth one piece. I removed the upper filler panels and moved the bumper up to meet the header panel. I sectioned the bumper one inch to get it closer to the body. This now looks a little less bulky. I still have to section the drivers side but I wanted a good before and after pic.

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Started fabbing filler plates so the bumper corners match the fender. Had to put one on the top too so its under the side of the header panel. Trimmed my urethane fender extension for a finished look. I tried to take my bumpers in to have the chrome removed but the guy did not want to do it unless he's rechroming them. So I'll have to flap wheel off the stuff. YAY! :x

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor