HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
My plastic horn button center has seen better days so I took it to my local vinyl sign shop. They're going to make an ultra gloss black overlay with a screen printed gold 442 in the middle. They are also making me some paint masks for the 442 logo on the doors.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
The seat cover set I bought has gave me a mess with trying to match a flexible coating. I have both of SEM's color chip charts and nothing matches very well. I bought a can of the closest and its too light. I may have to have it custom mixed to match the vinyl on the new seat covers. I have to paint all the interior panels and mouldings so I'm going to need a lot.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
How did you make out with the bumper? I am taking mine to get the chrome blasted off tomorrow.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
liquidh8 said:
How did you make out with the bumper? I am taking mine to get the chrome blasted off tomorrow.
Got the front bumper pretty much done except grinding. The pic of it is on page 8 near bottom. You probably already know but blasting the bumper still leaves the copper. Well, I should say that my blaster would not remove the copper. The welds don't stick to copper well either. The newer bumper had 5 layers of copper. Every spot I ground looked like a tree ring after a tree is cut down. Lol. The old bumper only had one coat. By the time I got it ground down to metal, it was a deep indention.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Got the front bumper pretty much done except grinding. The pic of it is on page 8 near bottom. You probably already know but blasting the bumper still leaves the copper. Well, I should say that my blaster would not remove the copper. The welds don't stick to copper well either. The newer bumper had 5 layers of copper. Every spot I ground looked like a tree ring after a tree is cut down. Lol. The old bumper only had one coat. By the time I got it ground down to metal, it was a deep indention.

The guys I took mine too, couldn't get all the chrome off the front of the bumpers. Looks like I'll be taking a flap wheel to them to finish the job. I just looked at those pics and the bumper looks great. :banana: Mine will be similar, but I will be shortening the light holes (less wide) to use as inlets/ducts to my steering and trans coolers.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Been working on my 55 Chevy for a couple months. I have a guy interested in buying my Salon but he wants it painted and running. I had the heads rebuilt and painted the engine, water pump, and intake with VHT engine paint. I came out the next day and used a gray scotchbrite and roughed it up. I shot on the base coat that's going on the car and cleared it. When the sun is on it, that is a beautiful color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor