HAFRODs 85 Monte Carlo SS budget project

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
So I spent a few hours on the wrecked 85. I removed all the front end sheetmetal. I stripped all the interior out including the column and dash with wiring harness/fuse block. I found one rear floor pan pretty eat up with rust. The parts car has a good pan. This car has been wrecked twice. It was cobbled together pretty bad. Incorrect hardware everywhere but the one that got me was the core support to chassis bolts. They used a huge stack of washers and a spindle castle nut to space it. Lol. Another funny one was the big purple wire on the column switch. It was cut and they spliced in a very small gauge wire in it. Surprised that small wire wasn't melted. The 86 parts car will yield most of the replacement parts. I had both left and right interior quarter window panels in the maroon in my attic. They are mint. The 85s engine wire harness is butchered and the heat/ac box wiring is melted. The 86s wiring is in great shape so going to use the engine and interior harness from it. I am very tempted to swap out the chassis' and rebuild the hinges with new pins and bushings and hang the doors on my next 4 day weekend. Using one door from the 86 and one I have in my shed from one of my past parts cars. These doors are very straight with two small dings between them both. Sure there are some other stuff but won't find them till their blocked out. I was itching to do SOMETHING to it. Every day when I take my dog out, The Monte is sitting there screaming at me for help. Lol

Reactions: 1 user

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I am glad both cars and the parts you had will make it easier to build what you want.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I kicked some butt today. The 85 is ready to lift off the bent chassis. All the body mounts came out without breaking. A couple were pretty scary cause they got tight while removing the bolt. I kept changing from loosen to tighten and it allowed them to come out without breaking. I bought two 5 packs of 12 point ARP bolts 10x1.50x80mm and one 5 pack of 10x1.50x50mm for the center rocker body mount. Also bought a poly body mount set. I used up a bunch of Ziplock bags tagging and bagging everything. Next pay period gonna buy a G Force crossmember and a few MOOG front end parts. Supposed to be 40s tomorrow and rain all day so no work will get done. I wanted to start stripping the 86 and get it ready to lift off the chassis but the launch is scrubbed

Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
So it's raining outside and I'm pacing. I got out the rear seat belts from the 85. They were stiff and nasty black. I ran a very hot sink with Tide and color safe bleach. The water in the sink turned black when I threw them in. I used a tooth brush and scrubbed the cloth. Rinsed them twice and now they're soft and look maroon. I zip tied them at the attachment points to a clothes hanger and hung it in my garage to dry. I found a set of brake, E brake, and gas pedal stainless trim surrounds I forgot I had. If I remember right, I got them from a 78,9,80 Grand Prix at a salvage years ago. Going to sand and polish them. Trying to find inside stuff to keep me busy. Lol

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I kicked some butt today. The 85 is ready to lift off the bent chassis. All the body mounts came out without breaking. A couple were pretty scary cause they got tight while removing the bolt. I kept changing from loosen to tighten and it allowed them to come out without breaking. I bought two 5 packs of 12 point ARP bolts 10x1.50x80mm and one 5 pack of 10x1.50x50mm for the center rocker body mount. Also bought a poly body mount set. I used up a bunch of Ziplock bags tagging and bagging everything. Next pay period gonna buy a G Force crossmember and a few MOOG front end parts. Supposed to be 40s tomorrow and rain all day so no work will get done. I wanted to start stripping the 86 and get it ready to lift off the chassis but the launch is scrubbed
Must of been a factory defect with those cage nuts. Everyone knows they don"t give bolts up that easy.:)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
20170310_174147_1489452495928_resized.jpg Trying to figure out how to post pics with my new computer. Looks like it works.

• Agree

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I'm trying to round up some muscle for next Saturday 25th for help swapping these body shells. I'll have everything ready so it's just a lift fest for about 5 minutes. GP403 should drive his Cutlass over here and Bar50 should bring his Aerocoupe. It does not pay anything though. Lol. That's probably $30 in fuel for Bar50 and his big block. Lol

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Shoot, if I lived closer I would be there.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
That sounds like a GBody cruise "pre-planning session" right there....
I gotta give it to HAFROD...He's a dedicated MF'er !

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor