HAFRODs 85 Monte Carlo SS budget project

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
What chemical stripper do you recommend?

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Whipped cream vodka..?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've decided to do some high end work on the body of this car. Going to do some body and chassis mods. Going to box in the chassis and smooth all the seams and sections with filler. Want it to look like it was moulded as one piece. It will be painted base black and matte cleared. Going to do tubular control arms. I'm going to gut the body to a bare shell and weld temporary bracing on the inside. I will then cut the entire floor from front to back out and raise it up (body drop). Maybe 2-3 inches. Not sure on how high till I get in there. I'll replate the sides and build angled extensions for the floor braces. Going to mini tub and notch the chassis. Going to cut down the rear seat back frame and reshape the foam. Also section the stock bucket seat brackets. Thinking I might also cut down the base of the console and stock shifter at least an inch and modify the welded on tunnel brackets for it. Still want it to look like an SS Monte Carlo on the inside. I'll build some wheelwells for the front fenders out of steel. I was heavily involved on the fabrication part of a body drop several years ago. I do not like that the chassis rails show below the rockers and this will fix that and get it lower as well. Not into ground effects. Going to flush mount the front, rear windows, and quarter windows. I'll shave the drip rails but fabricate a raised area. This way it won't look like it was just hack sawed off. The roof lead/bonding seams will be cut apart and sheetmetal inserts fabbed and welded in flush. I will also do a tight 3/16 gap on the sheetmetal by adding weld and grinding wherever is needed. I did this on my 55 and it took about a month but the outcome was well worth it. Going to do some dimple die work on some panels in the engine compartment as well and use my account with discount at ARP to do body, chassis, and engine with ARP bolts. I have built a lot of show cars in the last 25 years but my 55 has taken me 3 years already and I have been super meticulous with everything so far. Wheels will be probably 19 or 20" rears and probably 17" fronts. Probably do a bright pearl white on the body but may go lighter red on the inside

• Creative
Reactions: 3 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
So today I ordered some metal working tools. I have used my buddys stuff when I've needed it but it was time to get my own. I bought a Woodward Fab bead roller and a Harbor freight 36" sheetmetal break with stand. Also planning on getting a shrinker and stretcher with a stand tomorrow. I thought about getting the English wheel from harbor freight too but I rarely would use it. The metal mods I've planned will need these and it keeps me from an hour drive to my buddys. Lol. I'm excited to work on this SS but it will be awhile. The Salon is first then my 55 is next.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Today I have been digging in the attic and shed for some Salon parts. Found a lot of Monte parts including two right hand 87-88 taillights. Needed one too. So I started an inventory sheet for the Monte project. So I finally climbed under the 85 that I'll be building. Bad news. The frame rail on the passengers side is severely bent. I checked before I bought it on the drivers side cause that's where the front sheetmetal damage is. It looked fine. So now it's a frame swap. Good thing I have the parts car. I climbed under it and it looks very nice. Was going to remove the chassis anyway but now I get to do it twice. Lol

85montebentframe.jpg

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am considering channeling my MCSS too - only I am okay with just welding the body to the frame without body mounts. Think unibody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor