HAFRODs 85 Monte Carlo SS budget project

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
What time are you planning on? It's about 80 miles for me but I'll be happy to help.

Reactions: 1 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I droped off some additional Monte SS wheels for it last night....

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
20170518_174507_resized.jpg
Going to build this car for my wife as a secret. She does not keep up with my projects and steers clear of the garage because of the constant paint/body filler fumes. She has asthma

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
My cousin is going to move and he was a G body nut. He had a few parts he gave me. I went there this morning and brought home a load. Got a nice pair of 81-87 Regal/Cutlass doors, a tote with some maroon seat belts, floor shift tilt column, and two really nice maroon lower door panels. I needed the seat belts and lower door panels badly for this car. I have to go through everything again because I need a second set of stuff that's nice. I know of a salvage that has a base Monte with a missing door. Going tomorrow to see if there's anything I need. Ooooor don't need and drag home anyway :mrgreen:

Reactions: 5 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Checked my local craigslist parts and found some Monte parts for $100. Got a fender, inner fenders, hood hinges, Left and right aero mirrors and both are remote, rear bumper cover with bumper, tail lights and extensions, working power antenna with bezel and nut, front forward small splash shields, and a lower front bumper and cover for a base Monte. Also one nice headlight bezel and grille for a base Monte. There are some smalls and bolts/screws. I was not real interested till he pulled out the remote mirrors. I just jumped the electric antenna and it moved a little. Need to fine steel wool it and WD40 it before I go any further with it. Now that I'll have a fully fenced separate area, I'm going to become a G body hoarder :cool:

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
G-body hoarding isn't a disease, it's a way of life!;)

• Agree

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Changed around some plans I had on my order of projects. This 85 will be built for my wife in secret for our 25th wedding anniversary in August. My plan is to have this car and my Salon at the G Body cruise in September. Going to put my 87 SS on hold probably till next season. This will be a cool surprise gift for her.

Reactions: 2 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Using the 86 parts car chassis under this car. Had one bad body mount location. Did the repair in about an hour. It looks like it never had a problem. I love doing metal work. It relaxes me. I go to my happy place. Lol

20170526_090722_resized.jpg
20170526_093451_resized.jpg
20170526_102329_resized.jpg
20170526_111454_resized.jpg

• Winner

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Using the 86 parts car chassis under this car. Had one bad body mount location. Did the repair in about an hour. It looks like it never had a problem. I love doing metal work. It relaxes me. I go to my happy place. Lol

Nice work! Need to do this myself and haven't before. This probably seems like a silly question, but how do you make sure the hole is in the right place? Or is there enough play in the bushing alignment that its not critical to get it in the right spot within a few 1/16"s?

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Nice work! Need to do this myself and haven't before. This probably seems like a silly question, but how do you make sure the hole is in the right place? Or is there enough play in the bushing alignment that its not critical to get it in the right spot within a few 1/16"s?
I made a template off the bent chassis. It was in nice shape

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor