Has anyone successfully made their parking brake functional with Blazer rear disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I know guys have done it with the 98-02 F body stuff. Those are significantly different.
I just spent the last hour searching posts for anyone that was successful in making the 2 wheel drive Blazer rear discs have a functional parking brake and did not come up with anyone.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Yes, I did it on my 81 grand prix. I used the blazer rear brake cables and had to do a little bit of modification to hook them up to the g body intermediate cable. Though that was so long ago I don't remember exactly how I did it.
But yes it can be done.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yes.

I used the blazer rear cable assembly and then spliced it to the G body front cable under the driver's floor pan.

I don't have any pictures as it's on my 2+2 which is in storage 200 miles away.

I had to weld a small bracket on the frame to anchor the blazer cable sheith and then made an adapter linkage to go from there blazer cable to the F body one.

Reactions: 4 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
there is a way to do it and has been done over on the elcaminocentral forum. let me see if I can find that thread.....

(20 minutes later....) not finding it but someone did remedy by making a bolt-on bracket so it clears the shock mount. I clearly remember the picture basically being an L-shaped piece of metal with a slot in it for the cable to rest in and a larger hole for the cable end to go thru and rest in the slot.
kinda like this...

1648432976441.png

obviously, context helps but until I find that piece that's the best I can do

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Yes.

I used the blazer rear cable assembly and then spliced it to the G body front cable under the driver's floor pan.

I don't have any pictures as it's on my 2+2 which is in storage 200 miles away.

I had to weld a small bracket on the frame to anchor the blazer cable sheith and then made an adapter linkage to go from there blazer cable to the F body one.
If you get a chance to take a picture of what you did to get the cables to work I would also be interested.

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I was able to get the parking brake working. I used new Blazer cable assemblies.
I used Dorman number C96074 for the right side cutting the cable end on the forward portion. I cut the threaded adjuster with a good 12 inches of cable off of the original right side cable. I put the 2 together with cable clamps.
I used Raybestos number BCS95540 for the left side. I had to shorten the housing. I cut one fitting end off the housing and shortened the housing then welded the fitting end back on. I cut the barrel end off of the forward end of the cable (the part that attaches to the coupler that connects to the cable attached to the pedal. I made a new cable end (barrel) out of 3/8" steel rod. I drilled a hole for the cable to go through. I pulled the cable tight and cut the cable to length. I then welded the end (barrel) on to the cable. A little bit of work, but the parking brake works great now.

Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I was able to get the parking brake working. I used new Blazer cable assemblies.
I used Dorman number C96074 for the right side cutting the cable end on the forward portion. I cut the threaded adjuster with a good 12 inches of cable off of the original right side cable. I put the 2 together with cable clamps.
I used Raybestos number BCS95540 for the left side. I had to shorten the housing. I cut one fitting end off the housing and shortened the housing then welded the fitting end back on. I cut the barrel end off of the forward end of the cable (the part that attaches to the coupler that connects to the cable attached to the pedal. I made a new cable end (barrel) out of 3/8" steel rod. I drilled a hole for the cable to go through. I pulled the cable tight and cut the cable to length. I then welded the end (barrel) on to the cable. A little bit of work, but the parking brake works great now.
Any pics of the finished products

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

dmac35242

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2021
Birmingham, AL
I'll sub this thread for info.
My Blazer discs are on and working fine.
No parking brake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor