Heat/ AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
everything on my car works except the highest blower setting, what could that be? i scrapped all the rust off the plugs under the hood and nada. could it be the control inside the car itself?

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Try the high speed blower relay...the box on the a/c box. Tap on it with the key on and the blower on high. Make sure the blower motor has a good ground strap.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Try the blower motor resistor..If i remember correctly it's located on top of the hvac unit..

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
i got another resister and that box shaped thing bolted down with 2 bolts from the junkyard and its still the same thing is it possible i got identical broken ones or maybe the thing inside the car needs to be changed ? like the control for where u want it to come from and the speed

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I may be wrong...but I thought that there was a fuse for the blower motor on the high setting.... :?:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is a connection near the front of the passanger valve cover. Make sure that connection is clean and tight. I've changed the resistor and relay before I found out it was just the connection was loose.. :oops:

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
would the fuse be by the other fuses? cause i dont see it and i dont see the wire ur talkin about either... i seen one and disconnected it and the 3rd blower speed still worked so i dont think its the one ur talkin about.

i doubt its something simple cause the guy i got the car off of seemed like he wasnt stupid at all. he kept telling me to turn it into an e85 car and he told me about turbobuick.com . as i find out more and more about the car he really seemed like a guy who didnt do things the ghetto way that i normally see things done to these cars. he owned the car since 2001 according to the title. i think its something much more difficult than a loose plug or bad resistor maybe im wrong though but things dont seem right why wouldnt he just fix it to make the car more desirable/pleasurable. this is the only g body ive owned with a brand new car looking head liner and the back seat looks freakin plush and looks like it has pieces of shiny stuff in it. this was obviously his baby, only reason i think he sold it was because he had bought a 87 turbo buick for the better engine and i believe he wanted more money to make it sweet he didnt come off as wealthy either. this is also the reason i think he sold it to me with a decaying radiator and rusty beyond repair gas tank. i believe anything he bought for this car and could be transferred to his newer car was taken and replaced with the old stuff. there are holes for guages in the spots people normally put them like the pillars on the sides of the windshield

just some things that float in the back of my mind

and as far as a good ground strap lol, i unbolted it and cleaned it as good as i can but it bolts down to a sheet of rust lol so i dont know could that be it? all the other speeds work why not that one? could i run a new ground?

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
Check the red wire to the relay. they burn at times in the harness. it should have 12 volts. when high is selected you should have 12 volts on the purple wire to the motor. If you do and the motor does not run the motor is probably bad.
You should have power on the blue wire when in med or low. the orange is 12 volts when high is selected it energizes the relay coil. A test light is the best way to check. also make sure the black ground wire is actually grounded. The Blower resistor is only for low and med. High is all thru the blower relay.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
so i should put it on high and see if i have power in the red, purple, and orange is what ur saying?

is the blower motor hard to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor