Hellwig FX Frame Kit installation experience?

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
First of all it’s supposed to be made for g body’s, it’s not really the. Kid they hired that summer copied it from the a body frame kit they had and a lot of modifications are needed cutting etc.. however it definitely strengthens the frame. Yes I used the strap and tacked a couple steel rods to verify I wouldn’t warp anything and you have to tack it then move to another piece so you don’t overheat one section.
I have an original manual that lists measurements for the body bushings that I also had to fix so I could confirm the proper location and that I didn’t warp anything.
Yes on installing the new body bushings on position three you have to enlarge the hole to allow it to fit, and think about the new brake and fuel lines because you can’t run them in the c channel now.
I also installed the Umi shock tower brace and front brace too. Along with the rest of the Umi suspension kit.
As others have said not an easy job but it’s much better than it was. Glad I did it along with the other frame improvements I made. However I did a frame off restoration and started with a sandblasted frame.

Reactions: 3 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Oh yeah as to the not a great welder…. As I was told as long as you have good penetration the welds will look great after you grind them. Seriously though I’m new to it.. bought a Eastwood mig and a plasma cutter and locked myself in my garage it all came out alright… at least that what I’m telling myself.

Reactions: 6 users

WyoGN

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2022
not for gbody, but....abody chevelle has similar c hannel frame and there's people on youtube doing that frame. I would think it's the same. weld brace across to keep frame in shape. level frame on jack stands ect . you don't need a jig. you're not building the frame from scratch. I am going to be doing my chevelle with the kit fom hellwig. move around to keep from getting it too hot. from what I've read and heard makes a huge difference. good luck and go for it!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
not for gbody, but....abody chevelle has similar c hannel frame and there's people on youtube doing that frame. I would think it's the same. weld brace across to keep frame in shape. level frame on jack stands ect . you don't need a jig. you're not building the frame from scratch. I am going to be doing my chevelle with the kit fom hellwig. move around to keep from getting it too hot. from what I've read and heard makes a huge difference. good luck and go for it!
Was thinking it was a X style cross brace. 😵‍💫😖

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Oh yeah as to the not a great welder…. As I was told as long as you have good penetration the welds will look great after you grind them.
Here's something I've been known to say: "A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't."

• Winner

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away

The jig is for aligning the flexable frame straight, level, and square and to restrain it from moving or shifting around during the welding job. Jackstands do not restrain the chassis from moving and most garage floors and driveways are not flat enough for accurate measurements unlike a chassis jig which is accurately parallel and straight. Most of those guys who boxed their frames on Youtube have likely warped them.

The second function of a chassis jig is to provide accurate reference points for measuring, height, length, width, and centerline. Not all concrete floors are flat even though they may look like it to the naked eye. Who is to say your frame is already straight before boxing? With 40+ years of wear and tear it would not be surprising if there are some distortions. Frames should be checked before any modification work is started anyway.

Another issue is with welding all those layers of plates to the frame, how do you block capillary wicking of water between the layers causing rust damage?

Reactions: 1 user

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
The jig is for aligning the flexable frame straight, level, and square and to restrain it from moving or shifting around during the welding job. Jackstands do not restrain the chassis from moving and most garage floors and driveways are not flat enough for accurate measurements unlike a chassis jig which is accurately parallel and straight. Most of those guys who boxed their frames on Youtube have likely warped them.

The second function of a chassis jig is to provide accurate reference points for measuring, height, length, width, and centerline. Not all concrete floors are flat even though they may look like it to the naked eye. Who is to say your frame is already straight before boxing? With 40+ years of wear and tear it would not be surprising if there are some distortions. Frames should be checked before any modification work is started anyway.

Another issue is with welding all those layers of plates to the frame, how do you block capillary wicking of water between the layers causing rust damage?
Not sure if it was the best way but I used primer on the frame that I could still weld with, then used Eastwood chassis paint with the two foot hose spray nossel for the inside frame to thoroughly paint it. The outside frame got chassis saver black. Came out nice.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Here is a picture

Attachments

• IMG_3237.jpeg
    IMG_3237.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3232.jpeg
    IMG_3232.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: 4 users

WyoGN

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2022
that's why they say in the instructions to weld braces in to keep the frame where you want it.....I understand what a jig is and what's it's for...again....no jig needed to box in a frame.....it's already assembled.....but maybe you know more than Helwig and all the people that have installed their kit.....doubt it though

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
If the rails are adequately braced, welding in boxing plates won't ruin anything. It will be a stiffer version of what it currently is. As long as you don't plan on excessively stupid speeds that a street car should never encounter, it will be fine.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor