Help! 305 Knock?

Nick1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2020
Hey guys I have an old 305 in an 83 Malibu, I plan on pulling it and putting in a 350 over the winter so it's alright if it's toast. I've only been into the hobby for a few years and this is the first knock/noise I've had so I'm lost on what's causing it. Ran good all last year and used it as a daily, parked it up in the winter and started it up a few months ago and this week too and both times it now has a knock when starting, its less frequent when it warms up but will just randomly stumble and knock, and goes away completely under slight throttle. I was thinking it was something like piston slap? Sorry if this is something obvious, just trying to get some help and knowledge from folks that know a lot more than me. I took a video of a cold start with the distributer wire disconnected and just cranked it. What do you guys think?

I'd check the flywheel for it being cracked or loose torque converter bolts first before trying to dig in the block. Had this issue on my dad's Firebird over 30 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor