HELP- Hard Staring

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowestmonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2017
So I have a stock 88 Monte Carlo LS with a new Carb, and it runs great and has absolutely no problems, except one. When I go to start it, I have to pump the gas three or four times, then when I'm cranking it I have to pump the gas as fast as possible to get it to start. One time I couldn't get it started in a parking lot, so I messed with the choke lever some and it fired up immediately, which leads me to believe that the choke just isn't closing for whatever reason. If this is the case, could I, temporarily, rig up a manual choke cable to the choke lever, to shut it when starting? Thanks a bunch for the help guys.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Don't do a manual choke. Sounds like it needs to be adjusted. Rule of thumb is the choke plate just fully closes at room temp. (78 degrees) May need to go 2 notches richer.

slowestmonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2017
I didn't really plan on converting to a manual choke, I think I phrased it a little wrong. When the car doesn't start, I push the "elephant ear" (heard it called this, don't know its real name) up, and the car starts. So I was just planning on rigging up a choke cable to this to engage it without opening the hood, until I found out whats wrong. What exactly does this lever do, and why does pushing it up make my car start? (Also, this car is my daily driver year round, so any immediate help would be much appreciated)

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Elephant ear makes me think qjet.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
He said new carb so I'm not sure where you would find a new quadrajet. Whatever carb it is if it's new then why not talk to whoever rebuilt it or from the retailer

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If it's a reman qjet, god help him.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
not all remans are bad, the only problem with his is hard starting and that could be a timing issue.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Send a pic of the carb and we will go from there. Lean issue. Could be accelerator pump

slowestmonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2017
I ended up being able to fix the problem: It is a reman qjet from mountain man carbs, but the issue was entirely human error, and I felt pretty dumb after realizing it. The carb I had on the car before this would leak all the gas out of the carb while sitting, so you would have to pump the gas a few times to get it to start. I kept this habit when I went to the new one. Once it started getting harder and harder to start, I kept giving it more and more gas, thinking it was a lean issue, not realizing I was just super flooding the engine :blam::doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor