HELP! Interior lights won't shut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
I don't know what is keeping them on. The headlight swith was changed because I installed a Grand Prix dash in my Monte Carlo and it still won't let the lights turn off. What could this be? Door switches. I would think if they were bad the lights wouldn't come on. IDK It started the day I bought the thing a few months ago.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
brettlaage03 said:
I don't know what is keeping them on. The headlight switch was changed because I installed a Grand Prix dash in my Monte Carlo and it still won't let the lights turn off. What could this be? Door switches. I would think if they were bad the lights wouldn't come on. IDK It started the day I bought the thing a few months ago.

Brett,
You may have to systematically disconnect things until you locate the culprit. Have you disconnected the door switches? Something sounds like it's shorting somewhere. Perhaps a bad light switch? Gotta love those electrical gremlins. :?
...or you can pull fuses one at a time until you find the circuit that's giving you fits. Then troubleshoot that circuit.
I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I think that's where I'd start.

Was the problem there when you bought the car initially, or when you did the dash swap?

Sorry I jumped the gun a little here. The problem is with your interior lights. If i'm not mistaken, the interior lights are on the same circuit with the door switches. Are the under dash lights on as well? Again, it could also be your light switch. It's a process of elimination.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
it happened a few hours after i bought the car and way before i started the swap. Yes the under dash lights stay on as well. ill try disconnecting the door switches

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
after disconnecting the door switches the lights still stay on! Tried turning the headlight knob and still nothing

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
I found the culprit. There's a little orange box under the driver's side of the dash. If I unplug it the lights go off. They stay off whether the doors are open or closed, but will come on with the headlight switch. I found this out on an elcamino site. Apparently its a delay box. Is this something I can buy from a parts store?I would like my lights to operate the way they were meant to.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
Looking in the manual it looks like all the interior light share a hot all the time power source, it has to be a broken ground wire from the headlight switch or one of the door switches making contact with the body someplace. That could be tough to find, the wires probably run all over. Just have to think about where a wire could get pinched, broke, or damaged. Good Luck

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
Yes but I'm not paying that much for it! Thanks for the link though

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor