Help, metal in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Yeah, I sat at the kitchen table with an electronic scale and weighed every piston and rod. None of them weighed what was written on the spec sheet, and each one weighed something different so I sent the whole assembly out to the machine shop to be balanced and washed.

The block was hot tanked and magna-fluxed at the same shop. I washed it again before I assembled everything but I just washed it with a bucket of warm soapy water, a brush and a hose; I didn't get into the oil galley at all. I'm pretty sure that was my big mistake.

I went with the Lucas ZDDP because it was the only break in oil I could find locally.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah, I sat at the kitchen table with an electronic scale and weighed every piston and rod. None of them weighed what was written on the spec sheet, and each one weighed something different so I sent the whole assembly out to the machine shop to be balanced and washed.

The block was hot tanked and magna-fluxed at the same shop. I washed it again before I assembled everything but I just washed it with a bucket of warm soapy water, a brush and a hose; I didn't get into the oil galley at all. I'm pretty sure that was my big mistake.

I went with the Lucas ZDDP because it was the only break in oil I could find locally.
Next go around, get a hold of those block cleaning brushes you can chuck in a drill. Go through the oil passages and then flush with warm soapy water, dry with compressed air and let it air dry in a warm place over night, or for a day. Then have another go.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I heard from my machine shop that the Eagle cranks typically need work even in kit form that are supposed to be ready for assembly.
Your kit did come with a balancer and flexplate correct?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

with a roller cam you don't have to worry about ZDDP or breaking in the cam and lifters

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
I looked at the bearings with a magnifying glass, but not the crank. The shiny parts are just polished and not gouge marks, but all the dots are pieces of metal. The number 2 bearing had one gouge mark on it.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor