Help new clear coat scratches so easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
I just had my hood painted on my car with a base, clear. The body shop gave me the car and I have our stored in my garage. I noticed when I got it home, it had what appeared to be dust all over. I brushed off a spot on the paint and it scratched. I then used rinse water over it and let it dry. I put car cover on it and now, it has more scratches. Is this the way clear coat is or is something wrong with the paint job?-

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Leaving aside the quality issues, you never put a cover on a freshly painted car. Paint is "soft" and subject to scratches until it fully cures which, although it varies by type used, is at least days or longer from when it's sprayed.

There are also "recommendations" about use of soaps, limitations on waiting a month or more before using any wax or sealer, etc

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What temp is the garage being kept at? Colder temps will make the drying/"out gassing" of the clear take longer which will allow more scratches & blems.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
As the guys have said, the paint is fresh and soft and hasn’t had enough time to cure yet. The worst thing you can do with a fresh paint job is “wipe” dust off. It should be strictly hands off for at least a week, even possibly as long as a month until you’re sure it’s fully cured.

As said, a lot of it will have to do with the ambient air temperature it’s being stored at, cooler temperatures will extend and prolong the curing time. How soft the clear is will also largely depend on how the shop did the job, if they had a bake cycle that they ran the car through when they were done, the clear will be a lot harder and closer to a full cure than if they just allowed it to air dry at room temperature.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
What temp is the garage being kept at? Colder temps will make the drying/"out gassing" of the clear take longer which will allow more scratches & blems.
I keep garage at 62.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
This made me cringe.
Agreed.

Had the hood replaced under warranty on one of the 2016 mustangs. (Galvanic corrosion defect) Told the wife after she picked it up you don't touch it, don't wipe it, don't "rest" a purse or anything on it. She had a bird crap on it which is corrosive in its own right and I popped a hole in 2 water bottles to blast it under pressure and wash the residue off before damage.

I'd taught her about that issue, so she was conflicted about removal versus not touching anything.

Lesson to be learned: it is difficult, but occasionally a woman CAN be trained.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Please provide detailed information manual for said training.
It is both proprietary and confidential. However, motorheadmike also expressed prior interest in a coaching/lesson based system. Perhaps a program could be offered on a discount basis for early subscribers...

• Clever
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor