Help! Regal won't start!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
My bet is on the starter motor being bad. If the timing chain was the problem, there would likely be interference that keeps the engine from turning from a valve hitting a piston. If that was the case, it would click the solenoid but the starter would not spin. As for the fuel issue, look first at the rubber lines feeding the pump then at the fuel pump then the hard lines. The hard lines are not normally too much of a problem unless you live in the rust belt. However, anything is possible on a car that has been around for almost a quarter century.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
heh. speaking from experience, with a broken timing timing chain the 3.8 *will* still turn over :oops: without any problems. If you suspect its the timing chain, just pop the distributor cap off and see if the rotor spins when you turn it over. If not, problem solved. Well, discovered anyway.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
3.8 distributor drive gear is on the camshaft. no chain, no spin.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
the cam gear that is part of the timing chain is what goes bad though, the teeth get all messed up and the chain skips a few teeth casusing everything to be out of whack. i have never actually seen a timing chain break, its always been a bad gear in my experiances.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
regalman4925 said:
the cam gear that is part of the timing chain is what goes bad though..
Oh well, yeah :D That. :D same difference though. :D

Isn't it made out of plastic or some silly thing that they never should have done in the first place?

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
The stock one had like a nylon coating over the teeth and it just falls apart. i was told it was suppose to be quiter then a all metal gear, whatever it was it was a terrible idea and most aftermarket gears are solid metal.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I've heard though that on a GN 3.8 if you use a metal gear the anti knock sensor will pick up the noise and screw up the timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor