Help... Wl camino rear end swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Hey guys, I have an 86 SS El Camino with a 165hp 305 V8, a 200-4R transmission with overdrive, and 7.5in 2.56:1 rear end gears, no posi or limited slip. I figured that a complete rear end gear swap would be the cheapest and most noticeable way to increase speed, and to have a little fun drag racing some friends (just for the sake of screwing around). I can't decide over getting Monte SS 3.73s with posi or GN 3.42s with posi. I do drive on the highway to work, so I don't want super high rpms, but will there really be a differnce between these two sets of gears? In your opinion, or from experience, what would be the best gears to go with. Thanks!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have run the 3.42's with a 2800 stahl converter, 2004R trans, and 26" tall tire and had no issues. This was a 100 mile a day car.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
The most simple and cost efficient way to do the 7.5 you have is get a set of gears and a posi off ebay for your 26 spline axels. These came in all the early PRE 88 S-10 and blazers and GMC S-15 and bravads. That way you will have the right center section and it will match your ring and pinion gear and your 26 spine axels. The GN will be a 8.5 and will not fit unless you can get the complete rear end from brake drum to brake drum. It is also very $$$$ to do, just get the gears and posi and bolt it in and slip in the axels. Many of these truck came with the 3.42 or 3.73 gears any way. Just look on the code in the glove box and see that's their.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Your right on the carrier, that's why I suggested using the complete unit from the S-10 or S-15 with the ring gear attached. All he needs to do is slide in the axels and install the C clips and reinstall the pin.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The SS may be a 7.625 carrier with 28 spline axles..the GN is an 8.5 carrier with 28 spline axles.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Your right on the carrier, that's why I suggested using the complete unit from the S-10 or S-15 with the ring gear attached. All he needs to do is slide in the axels and install the C clips and reinstall the pin.

I think you offered him some great advice and agree with you. My comment was directed to the OP.
In the OPs comment he only mentions "rear end gear swap". So I was just pointing out he would need (to buy) more to run either of the gears he mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor