Here is my G-body / 1980 Elcamino

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicolaS W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2015
South East of France
Hi guys

Here is the story of my 1980 Elcamino, bought in 2014 January (it was my own birthday present)
I was looking for a cheap 2nd elcamino, not in perfect condition, but able to take the road once he will be here in france... I found this one on Graiglist, near LA.... As i have a guy specialized in muscles cars near LA to, I asked him to go inspect the car and keep me informed... the car seemed to be in better condition than I thought, I decided to buy it....

Once the car received here in France (2014 may), i just had to change dimmer switch en shocks absorbers to pass french technical inspection and get my french title (it took 3 month to get the title)

the day the Elcamino arrived at home:

10407310.jpg

10271610.jpg

later, i had to change sparks plugs, wires and carb (the original Rochester broke down, so i took a 500 cfm Edelbrock).. Once the carb on, i discovered it was not the original 305ci engine in the bay, but a 350ci, - L48 built in 1979... nothing very exciting....

in may 2015, i decided to chnged the rusty hood... earlier, i found a malibu hood in the south of France, so i started to prepare it for paint....

and here was the point of no return...

i 've made the choice to suppress the emblem in the front

front fenders nearly ready for paint:

then it's time for the doors...

the tail gate was not in good shape, but with a hydraulic cylinder and a big hammer, I managed to get it in the right way .. (shipped to France, a new tailgate woud cost me nearly $1000, so i decided to save this one)

I also found original 1985 buick regal mirrors on Ebay... they lokk better than the cheap mirrors I had on the car...

then it's time to work one the body.... veri little rust, but many small knocks and bumps...

and all the body is "primered"

During this week, I starder to paint inside the doors, inside the tailgates... door hinges has been sandblasted, axles and bushings changed...

and they are now on the car...

Reactions: 1 user

NicolaS W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2015
South East of France

As you can also see, I started a liscence plates collection few month ago...it miss me some....i'm looking for plates before 1980... if some of you can help me to complete mon collection, it would be great
295174.gif
295174.gif

thanks guys

NicolaS W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2015
South East of France
Thanks guys...

Doord and front fender have been reassembled during the week...

In parallel, i'm working on the eventual LS swap... Few weeks ago, i bought on Ebay a C5 corvette alternator.. but I didn't know il will not fit directly...
The offset can be corrected with a 20mm wedge (here I put nuts, i'll machine a aluminium wedge later)...

The 99 camaro steering can be kept if the fluid reservoir is deported (but the pump the bolt pattern are the same and with pulley, the offset seems to ben good), I'll will study this way to finish this mockup... the best will be to find a C5 corvette steerint pump with reservoir and bracket reservoir but not easy a second hand one here in France so i'll order one later..

finkous

Greasemonkey
Sep 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
I too have a bit of a license plate collection and quite a few spares that are pre 1980 from Alberta Canada... pretty sure we could make a trade for some european plates ;)

NicolaS W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2015
South East of France
Hi

Labour of these last few days... hood is in place, bed painted (by myself... result is not very conclusive :mad:)....the bodyshop called me this morning... the can take and paint the car on saturday morning ..So I started sanding ... I feel that the nights will be long...
next news at the beginning of next week....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor