here we go - your next drop-in swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My buddy has a 69' Nova that previously had a 598 BBC but tore the car and the engine apart and it is now a 632, he knew I was building a new 565 BBC for my Monte so I think he just wanted to make sure I didn't catch up to him in cubic inches.
And yes it is a street car, he runs a GearVendors behind a TH400 which helps a lot.
I’m not opposed to a 632 street motor. But 1.6 hp/cube is a tough build. A medium cam with a good head 632 at 1.1-1.3hp/cube is very realistic and drivable imo. The 1000hp version though takes alot of cam and rpm’s. Making street manners….hmmmm….not all they could be.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I’m not opposed to a 632 street motor. But 1.6 hp/cube is a tough build. A medium cam with a good head 632 at 1.1-1.3hp/cube is very realistic and drivable imo. The 1000hp version though takes alot of cam and rpm’s. Making street manners….hmmmm….not all they could be.
Really the cam is not all that big for a 632

• Camshaft Type: Billet Steel Hydraulic Roller
  • Valve Lift (in.): 0.780 intake/0.782 exhaust
  • Camshaft Duration (@0.050 in.): 270º intake/287º exhaust

By comparison the cam in my 565 with a 4/7 swap is:

• Camshaft Type: Billet Steel Solid Roller
  • Valve Lift (in.): 0.748 intake/0.714 exhaust
  • Camshaft Duration (@0.050 in.): 276º intake/284º exhaust

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
This thread makes me want to find a Gen VI BBC and tickle 8psi of junkyard sauce on it and make it yawn 1khp. For like $3000.
Could do it for less than that. Uhaul has been retiring the rest of their BBC trucks, you can get a decent running engine as a running/driving cab/chassis, under 150k miles with maintenance records. Price $2000-3000 with title with an Allison auto, tires you can sell, and thousands of dollars of scrap metal assuming you didn't try to part anything out from the tilt nose, doors, seats, column, axles, etc.

I kind of want to chop a dozen or so and mothball core engine/trans units at low cost.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This thread makes me want to find a Gen VI BBC and tickle 8psi of junkyard sauce on it and make it yawn 1khp. For like $3000.
Haha.

A BBC and what 565 is describing are not even remotely the same motors. There is nothing stock in a 1000hp capable BBC except maybe the stock block. I agree with 565 that those cams are not monsters for that many cubes, as long as the compression is not in the tank like a stock BB.

$3k should get you a block core and rotating assembly , bearings and oil pump.

Absolutely the best platform pre-LS to make big power reliably, but holy moly are they $’s^3. And ‘big power’ is not limited to 1000.

Even a stock SBC with a 4 bolt main and the ‘pink’ rods can handle 20-25psi with a very careful tune. That kind of boost would be physically impossible with stock anything in a BBC.

I’ve entertained this idea/notion many times - the budget BBC turbo build. I’ve stopped researching it - can’t be done, or I should say hasn’t been done, by anyone. 700-800 hp is the limit. That is nothing to scoff at for many people. Considering that can be done with low boost like 10-14psi. The issue is I know I can’t stop at 10psi if 700ish is that easy because……..

I’m an addict (boost that is).

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Haha.

A BBC and what 565 is describing are not even remotely the same motors. There is nothing stock in a 1000hp capable BBC except maybe the stock block. I agree with 565 that those cams are not monsters for that many cubes, as long as the compression is not in the tank like a stock BB.

$3k should get you a block core and rotating assembly , bearings and oil pump.

Absolutely the best platform pre-LS to make big power reliably, but holy moly are they $’s^3. And ‘big power’ is not limited to 1000.

Even a stock SBC with a 4 bolt main and the ‘pink’ rods can handle 20-25psi with a very careful tune. That kind of boost would be physically impossible with stock anything in a BBC.

I’ve entertained this idea/notion many times - the budget BBC turbo build. I’ve stopped researching it - can’t be done, or I should say hasn’t been done, by anyone. 700-800 hp is the limit. That is nothing to scoff at for many people. Considering that can be done with low boost like 10-14psi. The issue is I know I can’t stop at 10psi if 700ish is that easy because……..

I’m an addict (boost that is).
Last running Gen 6 that came my way was $1200 Canadian pesos.

It's doable, all day for what I posted for price.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There is nothing stock in a 1000hp capable BBC except maybe the stock block
The GM 632 uses a Bowtie block, both of my 565's have aftermarket blocks a Dart Big M and a World Products Merlin and neither one has a single GM part on them.
You need an aftermarket block to get to 4.60 bore and depending on the stroke you need a tall deck or more.

Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I think 64nailhead has it right. Most people really have no idea what 1000hp is under the right foot. A lot guys may have four, five even somewhere in the 700hp which is something to pay attention to when your cruising the road. There's a guy in my area that has done LS swaps since about 1999/2000 and has learned that any builds he does that are above the 700hp (LT4) range he has the customers sign a waiver not to hold him responsible if they smash it. He's listened a few guys leave his shop and within 60 seconds destroyed their cars because of a 1000hp build. That's ALOT of money "Gone in 60 Seconds"

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
In my opinion an LS does not look and sound right in a mucelcar. Do you want to go fast, or feel like you are back in the 70's? Maybe I should get some of those valve covers? So I can double my horsepower at car shows? Or I could just add a blower like I plan too.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
In my opinion an LS does not look and sound right in a muscle car. Do you want to go fast, or feel like you are back in the 70's? Maybe I should get some of those valve covers? So I can double my horsepower at car shows? Or I could just add a blower like I plan too.
dallas cowboys dance GIF by Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor