high hp\torq. with stock frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

gula187

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
Im trying to gather information for my engine build and i was wondering how much hp and torq can a stock frame handle?

If the body bushing haven't been changed I would be doing that and while the car is off the frame I'd box it and fix all the crappy factory welds on the frame. Then reinforce the rear trailing arm areas

yea i have T tops. do it matter if i dont plan on making it a track car?

T Top cars are prone to rear quarter panel buckling with high hp launches. Do some reading on turbobuick.com for solutions. You can reduce body flex with new polyurethane body mounts, GNX / Grand Prix rear seat brace, UMI rear shock tower brace, UMI front end triangulation brace (or factory Cutlass braces with Pontiac Grand Prix front brace) and correct sway bars. You can buy brackets for the rear upper and lower control arm mounts for extra insurance but many think they are not necessary unless pushing big HP.

If the body bushing haven't been changed I would be doing that and while the car is off the frame I'd box it and fix all the crappy factory welds on the frame. Then reinforce the rear trailing arm areas

This.

But that's hours and hours of work just letting you know before you jump into it.

That's a loaded question and it depends on how good your body mounts are and if you've added braces. Based on what the turbo buick guys have been saying for years, approximately 5-600hp is the safe limit assuming you do not have T tops.

500 to 600 horsepower -- I'm never going to have to worry about that limit unless I hit the lottery! HaHA

500-600 horsepower would probably cost around 15 to 20 grand!

500 to 600 horsepower -- I'm never going to have to worry about that limit unless I hit the lottery! HaHA

500-600 horsepower would probably cost around 15 to 20 grand!

Really???

I think not. You can get that out of a junky boosted LS

Really???

I think not. You can get that out of a junky boosted LS
I was thinking that 500 - 600 horsepower from a NEWLY build engine or crate motor would be in that ballpark. And again, was thinking how much that it would cost ME. I don't have the time or patience at this point of my life (middle-age) to fab-up a boosted LS install and dial it all in.

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking that 500 - 600 horsepower from a NEWLY build engine or crate motor would be in that ballpark. And again, was thinking how much that it would cost ME. I don't have the time or patience at this point of my life (middle-age) to fab-up a boosted LS install and dial it all in.

Tuning software for LS engines starts at $600, paying a shop to do it also isn't cheap. In my area, the yards don't offer warranties and charge piece meal for LS motors.

Many people home make a rear frame brace that connects from one rear frame bumper mount to the other. Square steel stock is commonly used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor