Holley VS. Edelbrock debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Try cracking the secondaries open a little. That should allow you to close up the primaries enough to cover the transfer slots.
I also want to add not to worry about the power valve just yet. Get you base timing and mixture figured out. I typically do this with a vacuum gauge making adjustments so that I can get the highest vacuum reading I can. I will even vary the idle speed. I will select a power valve after I figure out where it makes the highest vacuum and seems to idle the best.
Completely forgot to respond to your post, I’ve got the secondaries and the primaries even, and after a little tuning it idles at 600rpm in neutral and 500ish in gear without stalling. When it died on the hill I put it under a lot of load real quick so it doesn’t surprise me that it died. Vacuum probably dropped below 6 right then.
The good news is that the idle screws have an effect on idle quality, and I’ve got a steady idle back at 13hg, setting it like Holley’s instructions state.

Make sure you have the correct power valve installed, there is an adjustment screw behind the choke housing to adjust the high idle while choke is closed
I’ve got it set pretty much perfect now, the high idle needs to bring in the mains to keep it running while it’s cold, so that’s set at 1700rpm or so.

Reactions: 3 users

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
Two things you might think about that have worked for all my cars is if you run a air gap intake with a holley/quickfuel style carb is use some kind of spacer to give more clearance between intake and carb. One I use is edelbrock number 9266. Also holley style carb definitely need a fuel pressure regulator to run right. My regulator is set at 6.5 psi with no issues per quickfuel specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor